Currently reading
ds1819+ move volume1 to volume2 question

NAS
1819+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
ok this is going to be an out in left field question. total drive space used is 4.13 tb. this is all backed up on 2 external usb drives and on a old 1815+ with 5x3tb shr2 setup.

running a 1819+ with 5x4tb shr2 in volume1 storage pool 1 in slots 4/5/6/7/8

wanting to put in 3x6tb in shr2 as volume2 in slots 1/2/3 (this should give me 5.5tb of usable space until i add another 6tb drive to the volume2)

after i re-assign the shares to volume2 and wait for the data to move to the new volume, can blow out the volume1 and then remove the 5x4tb drives and the system still run?

or do i need to rebuild the whole system as dsm is on drive 1 of volume1 (slot 4)

DSM is on all disks, so that is not an issue. The system will run.
The part that needs attention is the packages, you cannot easily move these to the new volume.
best practice: make a backup of the settings and packages with hyper backup and restore them to the new volume after you removed the old volume,

The part that needs attention is the packages, you cannot easily move these to the new volume.
best practice: make a backup of the settings and packages with hyper backup and restore them to the new volume after you removed the old volume,

thanks for the reply, that makes migration down from 5hdd to 4hdd easily as i dont wont to start getting into the 6+hdd in the system just yet, and i didnt want to go thru the hassle of pulling a 4tb drive and inserting a 6tb and let it rebuild 5 times.

i like to leave 3 slots open at all times just for this scenario in the future if i need to move to larger hdd.

got a great sale on newegg for 6tb red pro for 175 each.

thats not an issue as i dont run alot of packages.

just replication, hyperbackup, docker (to run pi-hole), activebackup for business, mcafee antivirus.

all of those can be easily rebuilt. hyperbackup wont backup alot of the apps i have installed like docker, mcafee, activebackup. only thing hyperbackup will backup is hyperbackup itself.

just wanted to do a follow up and let you know your help is greatly appreciated.

1. created new storage pool 2 / volume 2 as shr1 with 3x6tb drives
2. started the building/parity check took about 24hrs with 2x6tb then added the 3rd 6tb which added another 6hrs (i should have added the 3x6tb right off the bat to the storage pool 2 instead of adding after the 3rd 6tb, could have saved hours on top of changing the rsync value to 600/500 to speed it up)
3. moved all shared folders to volume 2 (docker/pi-hole i had to re-install from fresh as it was tied into volume 1 somewhere in the config and i didn't have time to figure out where to change it)
4. added the 4th 6tb to convert to shr2 (this will take some time but i moved the rsync values back to 600/300 to make the system a bit more responsive during the conversion as it will take a while to do this and i dont want to make the system unavailable any longer. i had the system restricted for use during the build/move phase)
5. deleted volume 1, then deleted storage pool 1 (after confirming the volume space was under 200mb, DSM took up about 156mb)
6. moved the old 4tb drives to my 1815+ and repeating the process to move from 5x3tb to 4x4tb (i intend to replace the 1815+ with a 1821+ and move the 1819+ as the secondary backup to the 1821+. reason is that 1815+ you cant install a 10gbe nic (right now i am doing lan1 and lan2 as a LAGG setup but i would prefer a 10gbe connection between the 2 nas)

in hindsight in the future, i will leave at least 4bays open to repeat this process if i need to make more room instead of pulling out a drive and installing a bigger drive and rebuilding the raid x times drive bays filled. less wear and tear on all the drives.

again thanks for the crucial info to make this an easy transition for me.

might do a post detailing the whole process in case someone else was looking into this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.