DS1821+ and WD RED Plus WD140EFFX

Currently reading
DS1821+ and WD RED Plus WD140EFFX

Hello,
I currently have 6x10Tb Wd Red Plus WD101EFBX (Firmware 85.00A85) on my DS1821+.
I would like to extend my SHR2 volume with a 14Tb disk WD140EFFX (Firmware 81.00A81) even if i know that i would get 4Tb of unallocated space.

However when i perform the volume extension, the NAS warns me that this disk is not in the compatibility list provided by Synology. It is weird because i was thinking all Red plus disks would be ok.

Do i have to consider changing this HD with the new version of the 14tb disk (WD140EFGX) which is listed as compatible or do you think it is ok ?

Other question, my 6x10Tb disks have the new WD firmware, can i mix disks with firmware 85.xx and 81.xx without any problem ?

Thank you

Well i don't have a screenshot, but when i start the volume extension process, i got a popup which basically say that this HDD is not in the compatibility database of Synology for DS1821+.
The list only specify WD140EFGX and not WD140EFFX while both are "Red Plus"...

Well the reason I am asking is that not being on the list is one thing, but being on the list as "unsupported" is another.

If is just not on the list, it means that it was not officially tested. Being flagged as "unsupported" is a potential problem on multiple levels including no official support from Syno in case you get into trouble.

So if its not on the list, then you should have no problem using them.

Well the reason I am asking is that not being on the list is one thing, but being on the list as "unsupported" is another.
If we turned the clock back a year or so then that would be very true. Unfortunately Synology's recent decisions have left the lists in a terrible state and for some models just completely devoid of anything useful. This leaves known-bad drives in the same position as drives Synology previously pushed as recommended.

This leaves known-bad drives in the same position as drives Synology previously pushed as recommended.
Why I said "it should work", not that it will work. Still, using the drives on the list is your best bet, but I hear you.

Yep, who would have thought that it would come to this.

Still, it could be worse. You could have racks of SSDs in FS3017s on a 4-year TCO calculation... that all went into the bin before the 4 years were up. Also a massive kick in the teeth for the "avoid vendor lock-in" that was pushed so heavily by Synology:

Synology FS3017-rack avoid vendor lock-in.jpg

• Bullet point 5 should have been "Don't believe a word we say".
☕

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.