DS1821+ Best drive setup for performance

NAS
DS1621+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello, I have a DS1821+ with a 10gbe card install, and I am looking for the best driver setup to get the best performance. It will be for the home for backing up four computers a Plex media server for music and movies. I will be using it for Photo and Video editing. I will install two 1gb NVMe M.2 drives for the cache. I also have two 2.5 500gb SSD's and five 8TB drives. My idea is to get the best performance is to install the two 2.5 SSD and set them up on vol 1 and install the apps and run the VM's and containers on vol 1 and set up vol 2 with the five Hard drives. Option 2. Go with six drivers VOL 1 and for VOL 2 two SSD'S and the VM'S and containers. Option 3 go with all hard drives NVMe for catching. I would love to hear from others on this idea.

Personal suggestion would be:

vol1: all SSDs with no cache on them
vol2: all HDD with nvme cache on them

SSDs with additional nvme as cache is a waste in real-life testing, while spindle drives would benefit from it in certain cases. Media streaming for example will have no benefit but manipulating smaller files, DB like platforms etc, will have a good boost.

In any combination paring nvme with HDDs will give you a boost including running VMs off such a volume, but VMs would be best to run off a pure SSD volume is there is one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.