DS1821+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Good morning,

I've just purchased a DS1821+ with 4x 8TB drives, running DSM 7.1.

Using NASCompares "Synology NAS Setup Guide Part I - 2021/2022 - DSM 7 - RAID - VOLUMES - SHARES - MAPPED DRIVES"

I've created a SHR pool and a volume.

I think I've shared it correctly and have setup relevant users, etc.

My issue is when I come to map it, the Synology Assistant doesn't allow me to log in.

Right clicking on the NAS and selecting "Map Drive" results in:

1657568193488.png

From the video, I had expected to be asked to provide a UserID and password. Hitting "next" results in:

1657568380474.png

There is no data on the drive so if I need to "Factory Reset" or similar, happy to.

Solution
Its mapping by IP address there, which was already confirmed that worked before; just in a different way. You should also try mapping by the host name and see if you’re still getting a failure to ensure that everything is working as it should. Otherwise it’s working half assed in my opinion.

More randomness.

A friend told me that Synology doesn't like underscores "_" in names. accordingly, I changed "Gibson_DS1821" to "Gibson-DS1821".

As a result Synology Drive Client would now connect to the NAS. :)

Unfortunately Windows drive mapping now failed using IP addresses. :mad:

However using "\\Gibson-DS1821" gave me:

1658103971213.png

And I now happily have shares, not based on IP addresses:

1658104032051.png

Presumably if the NAS...
For whatever folders you are trying to share - did you assign user permissions to them? On my NAS, for example I have folders "Video" and "Music" with users assigned at least read permissions for them.

I can access them one of two ways within my home network:
\\nasname\video, \\Nasname\music
or via IP address - \\192.198.1.2\video, \\192.168.1.2\music

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Yes (as far as I know):

1657569705578.png

I wanted to make sure I got one working before adding Backups, Photos, Videos, etc.

The issue is that I don't even get asked to type in "Mark" or "zAdmin".

Or does it need to be "Full Control"?

Attachments

• 1657569676517.png
    1657569676517.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0
Last edited:
No. Changing to Full Control makes no difference - still not asked to provide login credentials.

Upvote 0
What happens if you try and do it without using the Assistant app? Guessing this is windows OS in question?

If so, try and use the Windows explorer and get to your nas like this: \\yourNASIP\ and hit return. Do you get asked for the credentials then?

Upvote 0
Try this... Right-click on Windows Desktop... select New/Shortcut. In the address, box enter either
\\nasname
or
\\nasipaddress
<--- this is my preference, presuming you set a fixed IP for the NAS
Ignore the Browse button... Click Next… and Finish

Upvote 0
Is the NAS firewall enabled?

No, it isn't.
-- post merged: --

Try this... Right-click on Windows Desktop... select New/Shortcut. In the address, box enter either
\\nasname
or
\\nasipaddress

Afraid not. Same outcome as browsing.

In any case this needs to work eventually on my wife's Mac, iPad, etc. so "Windows workarounds" aren't ideal.

Upvote 0
have you tried accessing it from the Mac? or another device? try a different network port on the NAS? I admit I'm a bit perplexed on this ...

I don't think its the network. After all I can manage the device and "see" it when I browse.

It seems to be more a user account / access privileges issue.

If Synology support come up with an answer I'll post here.

Upvote 0
odd because this really should be straightforward - create shared folder on NaS, create account(s) on NAS, assign account permissions and that's really about it. Windows has some strange issues connecting sometimes, which is why I asked about connecting from the Mac instead. What version of Windows are you running? MS does cripple network connectivity with the HOME version of Windows OS.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
have you tried accessing it from the Mac? or another device? try a different network port on the NAS? I admit I'm a bit perplexed on this ...

Just tried the Mac after enabling AFP and its happy:

1657847781389.png

\\nasname
or
\\nasipaddress

That does work:

1657848146917.png

I don’t see ip address usage in those screenshots. Have you tried with it’s ip address?

Just did - refer above and success.

I still don't understand why the "proper" way doesn't work though.

Upvote 0
Just tried the Mac after enabling AFP and its happy:

View attachment 10193

That does work:

View attachment 10195

Just did - refer above and success.

I still don't understand why the "proper" way doesn't work though.

Seem like a dns issue if you can hit it by ip . Can you ping the dns name of your nas?

Meanwhile I'm confirming my return / refund options. I want a box that works.
This is most certainly a configuration issue and not anything to do with “the box”

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Seem like a dns issue if you can hit it by ip . Can you ping the dns name of your nas?

This is most certainly a configuration issue and not anything to do with “the box”

While i'm thankful for the posts / suggestions, I'm not too worried about DNS.

The fundamental issue (first post) is that Synology Assistant doesn't accept the user credentials.

That's what I want to work.

I don't really want to use all these "back door" work a rounds.

Upvote 0
my best guess is that it is the windows ntlmv2 issue that is bothering you:

there are some more posts on this forum how to correct this.

I do not recommend AFP is was depreciated in 2015 by apple and it may or may not work, after each macOs update.

Upvote 0
my best guess is that it is the windows ntlmv2 issue that is bothering you:

there are some more posts on this forum how to correct this.

I do not recommend AFP is was depreciated in 2015 by apple and it may or may not work, after each macOs update.

Thanks.

While the article refers to Windows 10 in the summary, in true Microsloth fashion, its not mentioned again. The body is all about:

Enabling NTLM 2 for Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows 98 Second Edition clients

As for AFP, the Mac is running OS X 10.11.6.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.