Currently reading
DS1821+ max RAM

NAS
Syno DS1821+, Syno DS413, Qnap TS-851
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Synology indicates that the maximum RAM support for the DS1821+ is 32Gb.
Various sites indicates that the AMP processor supports 32Gb max, such as for example: AMD Ryzen Embedded V1500B - YE1500C4T4MFB

But there are plenty of sites and people having installed 64Gb (2x32Gb) with success: the DSM reports that there are 64Gb installed and there is no problem.

Wuld it be possible that everybody make a mistake and ONLY the bios reports 64Gb in the DSM, but the CPU can only use 32Gb ???

But there are plenty of sites and people having installed 64Gb (2x32Gb) with success: the DSM reports that there are 64Gb installed and there is no problem.

Yes, the CPU will support 64GB

Yes, DSM bios at boot states and reports 64GB as the maximum RAM (at least for now)

Yes, DSM will use and address all 64GB

No, it is incorrect to say there are no problems as the memory check / vendor lock will, at some point, either flag and report the incorrect memory; or for those with the memory warning turned off in 'Notifications' just a flag in the logs for Synology to use against you in their crazy court of warranty or tech support.

Clear but one last question:

If we use 64Gb memory modules that are known to NOT report an error message, such as those listed here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

is it correct to say that Synology will not know that we have installed "non recommended" modules ?

Or is it preferable to remain scotched with 32Gb modules regarding the warranty ?

Thank you very much for your knowledge,

Aside for the Arch memory, which reports itself as a 'compatible' Synology module, all the above list is doubtful and some of it is flat wrong.

As noted, the Syno Memory Checker is inconsistent and if it fails to run properly it defaults to a pass, but enters a log entry that it has not run successfully. I fear that the list quoted is polluted by the 'works ok and didn't get a visible warning message' type user, rather than ones that actually checks the logs or views the pass criteria set in DSM.

Also note that not all Synology RAM is listed as a pass under the daft vendor lock, because well, Synology - not everything makes sense.

To avoid Synology knowing you need to disable the telemetry and, ahead of any tech support, cleanse the appropriate log files and achieve a vendor check 'pass' with the 'correct' RAM. Of course, you need the NAS is a suitable state to achieve this so it may not always work out ok and the lack of logs in the history may still raise an eyebrow.

The other option is to tweak the vendor lock check so that it always achieves a pass and then remove it and re-insert the correct check logic ahead of support or warranty work, or just trust to luck that Synology does not check if DSM has been modified.

The final option is to fight Synology as what they are doing is against the law in most of Europe, including the UK. Who knows, maybe they will see sense and set DSM to perform as it has for years before they added this new 'feature' to the 2021 models.

I fear that the list quoted is polluted by the 'works ok and didn't get a visible warning message' type user, rather than ones that actually checks the logs or views the pass criteria set in DSM.
100% agree !
The other option is to tweak the vendor lock check so that it always achieves a pass and then remove it and re-insert the correct check logic ahead of support or warranty work, or just trust to luck that Synology does not check if DSM has been modified.
This sounds good but I have no idea how to do this, and I have not read anything about that on the Syno forums. I hope that geeks will be fed-up with this abuse of power and will post a "how to"

The final option is to fight Synology as what they are doing is against the law in most of Europe, including the UK. Who knows, maybe they will see sense and set DSM to perform as it has for years before they added this new 'feature' to the 2021 models.

We just have to hope that there is lawyer amongst the Syno clients ! but I am not going to bet on such an action: Syno knows it is not legal, but they don't care...and we are too "small" to make enough pressure...

If we installl 32Gb of compatible RAM (i.e. NOT Synology) that is correctly recognized by the NAS without error, then the log will probably record the brand name (that would not be Syno), and consequently Syno would know that a third party memory has been used (in case of a call to the Support).
So it is propably better to directly go to 64Gb and pray to not have a problem that requires the warranty...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.