NAS
DS1821+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Alright Guys,

Cool forum browsed a while and posting now.

Got a DS1821+ with 8x2TB Red Pro drives in it and I’ve upgraded the ram to 32gb

I’m only really using 2x1Gb bonded network and only some other adapters in the home are 2.5 or bonded as well, others are all 1Gb

Anyway I’ve got 2 1Tb SN700 NVMe drives and was going to throw them into the DS and my gut feeling was to put them as Read Only and RAID1 - from reading it won’t do that much but I don’t have any other real use for them so wondering if it’s at least the best config to choose and if there will even be a small improvement?

DS is used for backup and media mainly at present.

Thanks

DS is used for backup and media mainly at present.
In this particular case (or two), no, you will not see any benefits at all. If by "media" you are referring to some sort of Plex-like platform running on the NAS as well, then you might get a bump in faster response of the UI and its meta data, but other then that, not much.

Yeah fair enough so because I've got them and as they're SN700s they're not really good for much else

Would you say that the best use for them (other than storage volume as using a script or manually editing outside the confines of what DSM allows doesn't fill me with confidence) is for read only and RAID1 or would you set them up another way?

From all my reading Read-Write has too many potential negatives so read only seems like the safe bet but then RAID1 or RAID0 as even if it fails there's no real data loss but maybe RAID1 is just safer anyway which is where I landed?

I see it uses 330mb or 770mb of ram for either 930GB or 1.8TB but I guess with 32gb of ram thats not really an issue.

Yeah I mean I'd rather they were used for something than nothing if push came to shove.

Would you recommend having them in RAID0 or RAID1? I've set them to RAID1 for the moment but couldn't figure out what's the better option.

Thanks and yeah shame as I thought the cache would be a good idea until I read a bit more about it.

Last edited:
If you have it as read only, what is the benefit of redundancy?
None at all really but I was just unsure about doubling the available cache to 1.8TB and the extra RAM usage and CPU usage as well?

So you're saying if you're gonna do it in read-only mode might as well just go RAID0 if I have 32gb of ram and take the 770mb hit?

I guess it would also be kinder to the drives as you’re not right in the exact same day at the both of them at the same time, so you would get more life out of them?

Yeah agreed but they're sat here now so I might as well use them

I guess the consensus is RAID0 and Read Only if they have to be used?

None at all really but I was just unsure about doubling the available cache to 1.8TB and the extra RAM usage and CPU usage as well?

So you're saying if you're gonna do it in read-only mode might as well just go RAID0 if I have 32gb of ram and take the 770mb hit?

I guess it would also be kinder to the drives as you’re not right in the exact same day at the both of them at the same time, so you would get more life out of them?
It was more of a genuine question - I can see RAID1 being preferable if they are set to read-write in the event of one of them failing to give you time to remove the cache to ensure you don't loose data in the cache waiting to be written. For read-only, I'm not sure what the advantage of RAID1 is.

Oh I see lol!

Yeah I’m torn between RAID1 which I guess is needlessly secure but it uses half the RAM and I’d guess less compute power but on a Ryzen V1500B with 32gb RAM I’m guessing there’s less of an issue on that front?

The Synology website is very confusing about the two different types makes them both sound the same from a choice perspective one slightly better here one slightly better there but I guess that’s just the reality.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Old thread notice: There have been no replies in this thread for quite some time. The last reply was on .
The content in this thread may no longer be relevant. It might be better to open a new thread instead.