DS211J replacement

Currently reading
DS211J replacement

My Synology DS211J device will not start so I am hoping to pull the drives and install in a new device without losing data. Can I replace with a four bay device or should I stick to DS220J for any hope of success? The pool is configured to SHR1.

Last edited:
What do you mean "will not start"?

Have you tried using an extra drive (solo, any type) and seeing if you can create a simple volume? If you can do that, it points to a problem with the existing drives.

Hi Telos - thank you for quick response. Pressing the "Power" button yields no effect. It is as if I lost power supply.

My Synology DS211J device will not start so I am hoping to pull the drives and install in a new device without losing data. Can I replace with a four bay device or should I stick to DS220J for any hope of success? The pool is configured to SHR1.
Generally you can’t migrate J setup to a + model but you can migrate to a more then 2 slot bay.

Generally you can’t migrate J setup to a + model but you can migrate to a more then 2 slot bay.

Thank you, Rusty. I think my only recourse, then, is to install my drives in a working J model and migrate to a + model. Sad but helpful lesson.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.