DS213J with latest DSM

Currently reading
DS213J with latest DSM

NAS
DS213J
hi,
I bought a used DS213J and it's great for now. I'm just wondering since the hardware is very old, I'm guessing it's security is probably quite dated or limited. Is that the case? And if so, if I were buying similar basic functionality but wanted more up-to-date or better security, what models give a better step up in security?
Thank you

hi,
I bought a used DS213J and it's great for now. I'm just wondering since the hardware is very old, I'm guessing it's security is probably quite dated or limited. Is that the case? And if so, if I were buying similar basic functionality but wanted more up-to-date or better security, what models give a better step up in security?
Thank you
220j would be the latest in the class

The DS213j is still fully supported by Synology for both the current DSM 6 and upcoming DSM 7 (it's been in preview for a long time).

That means you'll have access to the same bugs as someone with a newer NAS ;)

As @Rusty said, the DS220j is the latest iteration of the 2-bay entry-level j-series. If you wanted to run the full suite of applications then look at the DS220+.

Have a look at these...

Is that the case?
As @fredbert said you will be in the same spot, but performance vise, that 213 model and the latest DSM (even the current one).... that will be a pain as you move forward and add services.

I would recommend getting a "younger" model for sure, regardless of being up to date with security elements.

@Rusty I will review the 220, thanks

@fredbert It's good to hear that. I just assumed that maybe the current software may perform a little differently with older hardware. I will check out your link, thanks.

@Rusty This is my first NAS. I'm amazed what functionality it offers for the money. I only got it for a simple bit of secure file sharing. I now realise I should've got a NAS ages ago...! I bought the 213 as a little punt unsure exactly how it would work... I now realise it offers to do so much!

It's fine for today, but now that the 213 has impressed me, I might think about putting a higher performance NAS in place and use some of the 101 other services that they provide. I'm currently only using it for USB port file sharing/serving...! And as mentioned, given this was an older hardware version, I wasn't sure if it was more vulnerable and something newer could offer better security.

@Telos Good and helpful to know, thank you. I hadn't researched this 213 purchase much, but to me typically older technology means greater security issues. It's reassuring to hear that's not the case here.

Thanks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.