Currently reading
DS214+ and disk compatibility

NAS
DS214+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I recently bought a new 4TB disk to replace a failing one in my NAS. Until I did this I had not realised that Synology had a compatibility list. My previous drive (and the one good one remaining) was a Wd Red Plus WD40EFRX. Even on the WD site only a 1TB version of this is available, the 4TB version has model number WD40EFZX. The firmware version is exactly the same. Synology support have been very unhelpful just constantly saying that I must use something on the compatibility list, but AFAICS all the disks listed are old models. In other words, it is not possible to purchase a disk listed as compatible.
Am I likely to have a problem using the newer disk? The speed is the same, but the cache is larger. I don’t know enough about disk technology to be sure.
I would appreciate any advice especially from anyone using supposedly incompatible disks.

Solution
The compatibility list contains only Synology tested drives. Synology lacks the resources to test every device. The fact that a drive is absent from the compatibility list does not mean that the drive is incompatible.

Choose NAS-rated (or Enterprise-rated) SATA drives for best performance, and do not mix SMR/CMR drive technologies.

Note: The current WD Red line is based on SMR technology, and should be avoided. WD Red Plus and WD Red Pro are OK.
The compatibility list contains only Synology tested drives. Synology lacks the resources to test every device. The fact that a drive is absent from the compatibility list does not mean that the drive is incompatible.

Choose NAS-rated (or Enterprise-rated) SATA drives for best performance, and do not mix SMR/CMR drive technologies.

Note: The current WD Red line is based on SMR technology, and should be avoided. WD Red Plus and WD Red Pro are OK.

Upvote 1
Solution
Thank you Telos. I can understand that Synology doesn’t have the resources to test every drive. But if that is the case then their support should really be able to give a simple answer like this. Instead they have repeatedly told me that I may suffer data loss using an untested drive.
I thought that SMR wasn’t a good idea and I’m glad you’ve confirmed that.
I actually installed the disk 24 hours ago and it appears to be working fine. I’m happy to leave it there now.

Upvote 0
Yes, it’s obviously a “company message”.
But it really doesn’t make any sense when there is no branded drive. The list contains Toshiba, Seagate and WD - none of which are available.
I shall refer to this forum more in future 🙂

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.