NAS
ds215j
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi,

I have a curious issue with my DS215j. It has been working perfect since I got it and it has been connected directly to my ISP providers router. I have setup a new Mesh network, Asus CT8, to which all other equipment is connected to. Asus is wired to the ISP router. I want to move the NAS over to the new network and wire it to the Asus router, but the NAS looses connection to the network after just a minute. I have changed it to receive DHCP address which works just for a minute or so. I have done a network reset by pressing the reset button on the back until it beeps, but it still does not maintain network connection. If I move it back to the ISP router, it received DHCP from this and network connection is maintained.
ISP router gives out 192.168.10.xxx while the Asus gives 192.168.50.xxx.
I really do not understand why network connection is lost. When I manage to access the NAS and look at the ip address received it all looks great.

dajomu

How have you setup the Asus CT8?
Is it running as an access point or router/firewall? [sounds like in router mode]
Is it also running DHCP services as well as the ISP router?

How are you managing traffic traversing between the .10 and .50 subnets?
Do you have firewall rules on the NAS that are preventing traffic crossing between the .50 and .10 subnets?

When on the .10 subnet, how are you ensuring routing to the .50 subnet is to the Asus CT8 router, and not out to the WAN?
Have to added static routes for the .50 subnet to the CT8's .10 IP address?

Finally, it's a lot easier to reserve an IP address in DHCP for the NAS's MAC address, that way you know where it should be found.

It has been a while with radio silence on my part, but I have still not managed to solve this. I know one should not use two dhcp servers, but I guess that would not be a problem if I create a static IP address on my NAS, while on the ASUS network, which is below the range of the dhcp addresses. So the ISP provider router dhcp is on range 192.168.10.100-254 and my NAS has the address 192.168.50.80.
I have not found any issues in the logs on either the NAS nor the ASUS router other than that connection is lost. It received IP address from the ASUS, but then drops connection after <1minute. At one time I asked my ISP provider to put their router in bridge mode, but the issue remained and NAS lost connection after a short while.
Problem is that I have family members that are not happy if the internet is down for an extended period and I am not sure how many time my ISP provider will bridge and unbridge my router without requesting payment.
I can move my NAS to the ASUS again and copy the logs. Maybe one of you are able to see what is going on.

I am not sure how many time my ISP provider will bridge and unbridge my router without requesting payment.
Bridge it once and be done.
if I create a static IP address on my NAS, while on the ASUS network, which is below the range of the dhcp addresses
Create a reserved IP using the ASUS router. Do not enter a fixed IP on the NAS.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.