DS216j - best option to backup hyper-v vms

Currently reading
DS216j - best option to backup hyper-v vms

NAS
DS216j
Operating system
  1. Windows
I have DS216j and currently use Synology Driver Server for backing up my PC. I have another server with a few VM's and wanted to check if anyone know the best option to back those up. I find Drive Server a bit intermittent.

Active backup for business that offers out of the box feature for hyper-v backups is sadly not available for DS216j by the looks of it!

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

I have DS216j and currently use Synology Driver Server for backing up my PC. I have another server with a few VM's and wanted to check if anyone know the best option to back those up. I find Drive Server a bit intermittent.

Active backup for business that offers out of the box feature for hyper-v backups is sadly not available for DS216j by the looks of it!

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
Maybe use Veeam or some other similar 3rd party solution, and use your NAS as a destination.

Maybe use Veeam or some other similar 3rd party solution, and use your NAS as a destination.
Thanks Rusty, another friend suggested the same so going to do that - just realised that my hyper V is on a Win 10 host and Veeam doesn't support Win 10 as a host. Going to try to run a win server as a VM and install veeam on there to see if it'll work!

Really? Veeam is multiplatform. Maybe I've misunderstood you.

It is but it doesn't support hyper-v with Windows 10 as a host - found it the hard way. I also tried to create a Windows Server 2019 VM but again, due to the host OS being windows 10 it won't support the VM's on Windows 10 Host. I have since been doing some search and apparently most backup solutions won't support windows 10 (apparently due to some inherent limitations in windows 10).

Trying Vembu now - it seems to work so far, 10 vms supported by the free version - let's see if it actually works.

However - agent based backup would still work with Veeam but that's a different story altogether!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.