DS218+ (Move Data from WD NAS)

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android

Hi
Have decided to upgrade my 6tb WDMyCloud. I have about 5tb of media files to move over to the DS218+.
What would be the best (fastest) method for me to carry out this task?
WD has very poor UI and i certainly cannot find anything on their side that would assist.
Your help and guidance is appreciated.

One option would be to use a pure SMB transfer. Use File Station Tools menu to make a remote SMB/CIFS connection to your WD setup. Once that is up and running simply copy/paste the content using the File Station.
Thanks for the reply. All my NAS and associated equipment are on 1gb ethernet, when i normally transfer from my PC to the WD NAS it takes about 2 mins for a 30gb file (transfer shows between 85-100Mbps). Would i expect a similar speed for copying from WD NAS to the Synology? Just curious how long 5tb will realistically take.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. All my NAS and associated equipment are on 1gb ethernet, when i normally transfer from my PC to the WD NAS it takes about 2 mins for a 30gb file (transfer shows between 85-100Mbps). Would i expect a similar speed for copying from WD NAS to the Synology? Just curious how long 5tb will realistically take.
Large single files will for sure transfer at near 1G speeds, but as soon as you enter the realm of a large pool of smaller files, transfer speeds will go down. So it is really hard to say how much time will be needed.

If those 5TB of data is in fact 90% large files (in GB's each), then you can estimate that you will be north of 50-60MB/s almost all the time, but again, its just a rough estimate.

Upvote 0
Large single files will for sure transfer at near 1G speeds, but as soon as you enter the realm of a large pool of smaller files, transfer speeds will go down. So it is really hard to say how much time will be needed.

If those 5TB of data is in fact 90% large files (in GB's each), then you can estimate that you will be north of 50-60MB/s almost all the time, but again, its just a rough estimate.
Thanks, its all media files min 20gb mkv's. The NAS will be used to store the movies, i use my Nvidia Shield as my Plex server. Hopefully plex will see the Synology, see no reason why not.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.