DS218+ Shutting down improperly weekly

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello all.
I’m new this this forum and to using the synology NAS drive. Really like it a lot, but I notice my DS218+ keeps on shutting down improperly once or twice a week. Not sure what the cause can be.

The unit was upgraded to a 8GB ram, I did ran a ram test twice (both time, it passed), have a UPS installed ( unit is setup to turn off if the UPS run low on backup battery), and replaced the power supply AC adapter.

Now in additions to the shut down, I just lost connection to the unit and the only light that is lid up is the status and power.

Any idea on what is cause the issue with the shut down and the lost of connection?
Is it possible to reset the drive OS and keep the data also?
-- post merged: --

Forgot to mention that it takes a few press of the power button to actually turn on the unit and get the hard drive running. The drive health says it is good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 71
Hey,
There should be an option in Control Panel/Hardware & Power/General tab/Power Recovery/"Restart automatically..." that should start up your NAS again after a crash. Check if that or WoL on the same tab is enabled.
But it's probably not that, hm. And not hibernation either. 🤔

I kind of had a similar-ish issue whereby my NAS had been going through a software crash every 2-3 days overnight that I narrowed down to Moments in my case, so here's my 2 cents on what to look into:
  • Have you checked what status does Synology Assistant give you for the NAS before you manually start it up?
  • Have you installed anything (FW update, synology package, etc.) around the time this started?
  • Are there any scheduled jobs or power schedule around the time of the improper shutdown?
  • Is there anything that you see in Log Centre?
  • Maybe do an quick/extended SMART test on the drives? (normally it's only scheduled monthly)
  • Is there anything out of ordinary in the detailed logs (cat /var/log/messages)
  • Have you replaced the power brick itself or just the cable that runs from that to the wall socket? If you only replaced the cable, your PSU may still be dying if there are no apparent software issues you can identify

There is the option of Mode 2 reset that only wipes the OS but leaves your actual data intact, but you may not have to resort to that if you can identify the root case.

Or you might get some more useful tips from the actual experts on this forum :)

This sort of behaviour started happening to me recently on my DS1815+. I would come into work in the morning and notice that it wasn't on. Even removing it from power and plugging it in at a separate power source wouldn't immediately work unless I gave it an hour or so and the pressing the power button brought it back to life.

I opened up a ticket with Synology who looked at the logs. All they could suggest was to run a SMART test on the drives and also highlighted that a couple of my drives (which have been in there for a couple of years) were not on the compatibility list. I tested each one and found one of the compatible drives had an error on it. I replaced that and it has been up for nearly a week where it was crashing evey 2-3 days. So I think it was the hard drive even though part of me thought it might be to do with the very cold weather and it being in our rather cold warehouse!

Interesting.

Not NAS related but some years ago my old iMac (2007) started to randomly reboot. As I kept two bootable clones on external firewire drives I booted from the newest one of these as it was near-as identical to the internal content. The clone booted and didn't do the random rebooting. After replacing the internal disk with a new one and restoring the clone data I again had a stable iMac.

A disk fault can seem random and cause unexpected behaviour, especially when in sectors holding the OS and/or paging space. It also can make you question the reliability of the rest of the machine.

I think after that was around the time I first got a UPS.

Hi Suoabb, did this sort itself out?

Mine shut down over the weekend again and, as before, took a while for it to want to reboot again. This time, although it boots, Synology Assistant won't let me in to change the auto assigned IP addresses it is getting, status say: "Not Installed" which is new to me as I've always been able to get in this way.

hi mate my ds218+ is having the same issues as yours did you find a solution to the problem . ive tried everything hdd memory power adaptor stil getting that improper shutdown message

any help will do many thanks

Last edited:
Hi Suoabb, did this sort itself out?

Mine shut down over the weekend again and, as before, took a while for it to want to reboot again. This time, although it boots, Synology Assistant won't let me in to change the auto assigned IP addresses it is getting, status say: "Not Installed" which is new to me as I've always been able to get in this way.
Hi,
I'm not Suoabb, but I can try to help. If your Synology device is experiencing issues with rebooting and Synology Assistant is not letting you in, it might be helpful to check your network connection and ensure proper configuration for accessing the device.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.