DS218+ to DS220+ = lost one USB port, need help

NAS
DS218+ 8GB RAM, DS212
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Moving from my DS218+ to DS220+ and noticed (surprise!) that the DS220+ has only one rear USB port.

On my DS218+ I had an external USB drive and a UPS connected to the two USB ports on the back of the drive. Since there is only one port on the rear of the DS220+, will it work if I plug in the UPS on the back USB port, and the USB drive to the the USB port on the front of the DS220+? I have a number of backup tasks that ran from the DS218+ to the USB drive and want to make sure they'll work the same on the DS220+ if the USB drive is plugged into the front port.

Thanks!

Wife is in the middle of doing things w/the drive so I can't touch it at the moment. :) So thought I'd try to confirm while I'm waiting.

"She who must not be named" does not like to wait while I "Futz w/all the stuff all the time..." :D

Last edited:
I ended up just plugging the UPS into the front USB port as my wife's futzing (which I believe she thinks isn't futzing based on the look she gave me when I called it that) is not over.

The UPS was reccognized, so looks like I'm good.

All the USB ports on the NAS are seen the same. Only reason I don't often use the front port is that I don't like having things hanging out the front of the NAS.

I've used unpowered USB 3 hubs on my NAS to add more ports. I got ones that looked to match a MacBook Air but they are no longer available on Amazon, and not even the pages load (so I can't show you what they look like).

On the DS218+ I have a hub that has the UPS and three external 3.5" USB drives. So that's an option if you really need to have another USB port.

Something I found was that it is helpful to use Control Panel to name the mounted USB volumes to something other than usbshare1. The reason for this is that if you ever want to switch drives, e.g. smaller to bigger, and copy across the data then the new drive will get a new usbshareN but you can reuse the name you give it. Why useful? Hyper Backup will use the name you assign so it's easier than having to create a new task, relink, and then remember what task settings you had. There'll be other similar situations. Plus you'll remember what you use the USB volume for if you give it a name.

Last edited:
To clarify... the front USB is 2.0, the rear USB ports are 3.0.

Thanks for clarifying, good to know that, as my external USB drive is USB 3.0.

Did not know I can add a USB hub to the NAS, that is very good to know. I would like to move the UPS USB to the back of the NAS. I have a right-angle USB adapter so the connection isn't pointing directly out from the NAS, but it still looks/is clumsy.

I've always only had one USB drive connected so I've never thought about naming them. Big gap in my understanding in that area as a result.

- If I remove and re-connect a single drive can I assume that it always gets usbshare1 again, as long as it is the first/only USB drive connected?
- If I remove my USB drive (currently usbshare1) and connect a different USB drive, I assume that new drive will get assigned the usbshare1 name, and when I re-connect my original usbshare1 drive it will get renamed usbshare2.

Just thinking about this makes me want to rename my USB drive, but expect that all of my versioned HyperBackup jobs and folder copy jobs set up in HyperBackup to the usbshare1 drive are going to fail if I change the name of the drive from usbshare1 to something else. I don't see a way to change the target in the backup task settings.

To clarify... the front USB is 2.0, the rear USB ports are 3.0.
Yep, that won't change. But the front port isn't reserved for UBS Copy, it's more of an accessibility feature.

- If I remove and re-connect a single drive can I assume that it always gets usbshare1 again, as long as it is the first/only USB drive connected?
I think that's right. DSM seems to remember which USB volume it named usbshare1, and so on. Until the you recreate the volume on the USB drive. If you have multiple volumes (partitions) on a USB drive the naming will be usbshare1-1, etc.

- If I remove my USB drive (currently usbshare1) and connect a different USB drive, I assume that new drive will get assigned the usbshare1 name, and when I re-connect my original usbshare1 drive it will get renamed usbshare2.
The auto-naming isn't transferred to another NAS, which will assign a name of its choosing. When moving back to the original NAS then its assigned name will be used.

All this is why I prefer to assign my own names, though in the file system (via SSH) you will still traverse using the DSM assigned names.

If you found an eSata drive that worked with the DS218+ then it's not possible to assign your own name to its volumes. You're stuck with satashare1 etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.