DS218+ with 2x6TB is filling up - best option for HDD upgrade?

Currently reading
DS218+ with 2x6TB is filling up - best option for HDD upgrade?

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I have a DS218+ with 2x6TB WD Red Plus drives, that are filling up after installing Surveillance Center, I did limit the recording, but I think it's time to upgrade.

1. Is it best to just move to DS920+ (or its replacement), then add a drive?
2. Just get a larger HDD, stick to HD218+
3. If on DS920+ , what's the best HDD to upgrade to? I am looking for 12TB+ drive and to be as QUIET as possible!

Thanks

Why not upsize your drives... ex., 16-18 TB.

Well, true, but I am always weary of massive sized drives. Don't really wanna go over 12TB, as from experience, the larger the drive, the faster they fall. Albeit, that's from past experiences of 2-8TB drives, never had anything larger.

Also, a RAID with ability of having 3+ drives is more flexible in the long run, and I get more functionality, speed, SSD, etc... which can come handy. I now primarily use DS218+ for Backup/Plex (lots)/Surveillance/Photo sharing

Looking at your question from a different direction, do you need to keep everything on your NAS?
I keep asking myself whether to increase my 2 x 4TBs on my 218+, but then, while I want to keep what is on the drives, do I really need continual instantaneous access to it. Hence I have a 5TB external drive which acts both as a backup and holds somethings I have taken off the 4TBs. Currently I am back down to 2.3TBs.

Don't really wanna go over 12TB, as from experience, the larger the drive, the faster they fall.
I hear you. Personally, I prefer more bays than larger drives.

Which NAS drive 12TB+ is QUIETEST at the moment?
Depends on the level of since you are going for. No drive over 4TB (HDD) is quiet. But if you don't want to hear the drives you will have to move to SSDs, anything other than that will include some level of noise.

Looking at your question from a different direction, do you need to keep everything on your NAS?
I keep asking myself whether to increase my 2 x 4TBs on my 218+, but then, while I want to keep what is on the drives, do I really need continual instantaneous access to it. Hence I have a 5TB external drive which acts both as a backup and holds somethings I have taken off the 4TBs. Currently I am back down to 2.3TBs.

My Plex folder is easily 3TB and growing.
-- post merged: --

I hear you. Personally, I prefer more bays than larger drives.

Depends on the level of since you are going for. No drive over 4TB (HDD) is quiet. But if you don't want to hear the drives you will have to move to SSDs, anything other than that will include some level of noise.

Thanks, my 6TB Red Plus drives (quite old now) are pretty OK, so as long as they maintain the same level of noise I'd be happy. Now, interestingly based on specs, it looks like 10TB is noisy but then 12TB/14 are quieter while being faster (7200 RPM), why could it be? Is it a different type of drive?

Here's the spec sheet on WD Red Plus... notice how much quieter 12TB+ drives are... are they really?

1658250480641.png

My current array is running 10 TB drives. I had not heard of the propensity of larger than 12 GB drives failing - what makes/models/sizes seem to be failure prone? I ask as I am considering a DS1621+ for my next NAS, downsizing from my 1819+ with 2 less bays and larger drives.

Thanks, have another question about SHR of mixed drive sizes...

If I get DS920, and buy ONE 12TB drive (plus 2x6TB), I will get the following:

- 12TB total, 6TB for protection

WHAT HAPPENS if:
- 12TB drive fails
- One of 6TB drives fail?

If I then have 8TB of stuff stores, would losing EITHER 6TB or 12TB means losing 2TB of data?

Thanks

With SHR=1, 1 drive can generally fail with no loss of data. With drives of different sizes that complicates the scenario

With your setup, you can technically lose (1) 6 TB drive without data loss

6+6+12 setup would mean that the 12tb nas would be a redundant one with half of its space for redundancy and half unusable.

This way any other 6TB drive fails you will still have another 6tb one and a 12tb drive with all the 6tb data.

If a 12 tb fails you still have both 6tb drives with all the data going. In any combination 12tb of combined usable space across 2 drives is covered.

6+6+12 setup would mean that the 12tb nas would be a redundant one with half of its space for redundancy and half unusable.

This way any other 6TB drive fails you will still have another 6tb one and a 12tb drive with all the 6tb data.

If a 12 tb fails you still have both 6tb drives with all the data going. In any combination 12tb of combined usable space across 2 drives is covered.

Thanks, so if I have 8TB of data across all drives (6+6+12), if ANY one drive fails (either 6 or 12), I still have the total of 8TB data intact. Correct?

Correct. SHR will tolerate 1 drive failure no matter which drive it is. It's the combo of 2 remaining drives that are holding the 12TB of usable space. If you lose 2 drives, then you lose all of it, not just the 2TB delta.

Thanks, one of my 6TB drives is quite old and may die sooner or later, and always new drives have a few percentage new failure rate. So, very unlikely TWO would fail at once.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.