DS218+ with heavy Plex use - Upgrade to DSM 7.0.1 - or stay on 6.2.4

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I am a newbie Synology users (6 months) or so, it's being used to backup Desktop/laptop data (using Drive), and to host all our videos, which we used multiple times a day via Plex specially for our kids. I've upgraded RAM to 4GB, but everything else is stock, no dongles, add-ons, etc... using 2x6TB WD Red Plus.

I then started Photo sharing, and Moments and Photo stations both SUCK and I am interested if the new Photos app work better, needing DSM 7.0

Questions:
- Any issues with DS218+ upgrade to DSM 7.0
- Has Plex issues all been resolved for DSM 7.0? If not, I will hold off
- Is Photo app much improved over Moments?
- Any other thoughts, pros/cons of upgrade, staying on 6.2

Thanks

I have a DS218+ and recently went to 7.0, no issues upgrading ecept if you run Zero Tier you have to now use Docker.

No regrets overall. I prefer the new Photo app over the old... but there are many who do not.
As to Plex I cannot say as I do not run it sorry.

Last edited:
I've updated to DSM 7 on all my NAS.

I'm running Plex pre- and post-migration and not noticed any issues. I recommend you follow @Rusty's guide here:

I'm not going to go through Synology Photos in too much detail as there's lots on this here and at the other place also see:

It's best to think of Synology Photos as Moments v2 (or v1.5) and there's still no map view. If you don't like the DSM 6 offers then you aren't losing out by moving to DSM 7 because you'll either hate, love, or accept Photos.

Biggest things to note in DSM 7 are what they've dropped, so read the release notes carefully. Two that come to mind are: CardDAV Server is fully out in DSM 7.0.1 (there was temporary support in DSM 7.0.0, to allow for migration?) and you have to use Synology Contacts, so export contacts before updating; and USB devices are much curtailed to mostly USB drives and UPS monitoring (useful dongles are no longer supported).

Has Plex issues all been resolved for DSM 7.0? If not, I will hold off
Since September, Plex install has changed a bit (and I have altered the article), but the general idea is still the same. You need to do a one time migration of your Plex setup. Once you migrate, any other update will be possible via Package Center as usual.

I've updated to DSM 7 on all my NAS.

I'm running Plex pre- and post-migration and not noticed any issues. I recommend you follow @Rusty's guide here:

I'm not going to go through Synology Photos in too much detail as there's lots on this here and at the other place also see:

It's best to think of Synology Photos as Moments v2 (or v1.5) and there's still no map view. If you don't like the DSM 6 offers then you aren't losing out by moving to DSM 7 because you'll either hate, love, or accept Photos.

Biggest things to note in DSM 7 are what they've dropped, so read the release notes carefully. Two that come to mind are: CardDAV Server is fully out in DSM 7.0.1 (there was temporary support in DSM 7.0.0, to allow for migration?) and you have to use Synology Contacts, so export contacts before updating; and USB devices are much curtailed to mostly USB drives and UPS monitoring (useful dongles are no longer supported).

Thanks... I don't use any USB dongle now, but would it be useful in the future? Like for instance, if I had to install where there's no ethernet and have to use WiFi? or try to use BT... hard to say right now. It totally sucks they're removing all of that functionality, I think it's more of a control thing and following in steps of Apple and the like to control the ecosystem.

Questions:
- Any issues with DS218+ upgrade to DSM 7.0
- Has Plex issues all been resolved for DSM 7.0? If not, I will hold off
- Is Photo app much improved over Moments?
- Any other thoughts, pros/cons of upgrade, staying on 6.2
Curmudgeon here... :ROFLMAO:
  • What's your hurry? Are there are “must have” features that DSM7 promises you?
  • Plex runs fine on DSM6.2. There is a "new Plex version" under development for DSM7. It has no new features, but offers a simpler install for DSM7 than the official version. No need to rush into that, IMO.
  • Photos will be a let-down in contrast to Moments. There's no escaping that. Synology has hinted that they welcome user suggestions, but we all know Synology's track record on adding features to released packages. At this point, the user suggestions are so varied, that implementing them would likely involve a total rewrite.
    TLDR: Don't hold your breath.
  • DSM6x will be supported at least through June 2023. Stay the course.
  • Experience with other major DSM updates suggests that waiting until vX.1 is prudent.

Concur with @Telos

If your main motivation is Photos, install DSM 7 as a virtual DSM (vDSM) and try it out that way. You may prefer the new version, you may not, but either way you'll find that out without putting your production system at risk.

FWIW, I've done the same thing, having run vDSM for the better part of year. For now I've chosen to keep 6.2 for production.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.