DS220+ just getting started. Confused about workgroup and device accidentally created

Currently reading
DS220+ just getting started. Confused about workgroup and device accidentally created

NAS
DS220+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
I'm just getting started with the DS220+. Still experimenting with a temporary small hard drive while some file consolidation is being on other drives to prepare to move to the drives destined for the DS220+, so if a factory reset is needed it won't be the end of the world.

My LAN includes Windows 10 computers, Ubuntu, old Linksys NAS200, now the Synology, and some other devices that probably aren't on a workgroup. My practice has been to call the workgroup "LAN". The Ubuntu machine is set up to be the network master browser - in part because it's the most reliable, and unaffected by physical and connectivity changes of which there have been many over the past year due to moves. Ubuntu, NAS200, Synology are all static IP (assigned by Sonicwall), and all have entries in the Windows hosts file.

When I first started setting up the DS220+, I didn't find the Workgroup setting (Control Panel | File Services | SMB), so I made what looks like a mistake by using Control Panel | Domain/LDAP and joining Domain, plus setting up the domain as the workgroup=LAN, and also domain Netbios name=LAN. At least that's roughly what I thought I did. Once I started seeing the problem I turned off joining a Domain and the options became unavailable. Then I found the workgroup setting and made it LAN.

The problem is that I'm seeing a device called "LAN" when I browse the network. I can see it from Windows 10 machines, and also from the Ubuntu machine. The device LAN is not real - I can't ping it. But it shows up with nbtstat -a as four devices associated with the three Synology devices in the list. And it's in the network neighborhood while the Synology is on (or not on but not refreshed).

I'm wondering if this is because the windows machine from which I've been doing most of the Synology experiments has records in its network browser cache, and at some point they will clear up (and the device icon that I see with Windows file explorer will go away) . flushdns doesn't seem to do anything, although there are records for computers on my lan, including the Synology (name I assigned originally, but not the LAN device). I'll reboot Windows computers after finishing this, to see if anything changes.

The other odd thing I noticed was from using a tool called LanScan (from ScottiesTech.info) which makes checking the master browser easier. The output from this shows the Synology as not having a workgroup. Yet Network Neighborbood shows the Synology in workgroup LAN.

Sorry for the long message. I'm looking for advice about the best approach forward - change settings, reset to factory settings, etc. And if I can expect the (apparently) cached entries to eventually go away.

Thanks!

Thanks @fredbert. Your reply went into spam, so I only just saw it.

I've decided a) to just do a factory reset when I'm ready to pick this up again, and b) I need to delay for a few weeks because I'm behind on other things - I'm paying the price for not consolidating earlier.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to close this off. The outcome was as I anticipated. I had to delay for a couple of months (and I'm glad I did - I would have been in limbo if I'd started before returning from the great puppy trek.

More relevantly, after some more experiments, and not finding a solution to workgroup name and device duplication, I decided that the decision to reset completely was the right approach.

Resetting installed DSM 7, fine by me. And being more careful about the network settings, the duplication of a device name with the workgroup went away. First with my Ubuntu machine, and then eventually Windows machines caught up.

More questions in a new post.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.