DS220 + MacOS

Currently reading
DS220 + MacOS

Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
While I have been using the DS220 for a good while now, this is the first time I have been trying to actually read/write to it from software. It appears that software for the Mac does not acknowledge or want to read/write to the DS220+ which has me wondering if a) I have been using the wrong drive formal all this time (thought of changing something so fundamental is not fun thinking of all that went into it and time required to rebuild,) or b) is this even possible? Can I store a working file not the DS220 like one can for iCloud and work on the file from different computers?

What software are you thinking about: something in macOS or third party?

When mounted in Finder the NAS file system is hidden, being recognised as whatever the sharing service you connected with. You can check this using Cmd-i (Get Info). Within the Mac file system the mounted drives and shares are found at /Volumes. Now it maybe that the NAS share has been a uncleanly unmounted and the associated mount folder in /Volumes has been left. When this happens a new mount folder suffixed 1 will be used. It could be that you software isn’t aware of the new mount folder and is trying to find files in the old empty mount folder.

The share can be 'reached' from macOS, iOS etc. fine. Situation kicks in when trying to open a document from the share. If I am using Numbers on MacOS, I can no open the numbers document if it is on the NAS share. If I copy to the macOS desktop, it opens fine and then I save and copy back to the NAS. Would like to open the document on demand w/o having to move the file back and forth.

Last edited:
Admin - admin access each time
-- post merged: --

Everything seems to be as expected EXCEPT apps will not open documents (launching from NAS nor going into app > select open > navigate to NAS > select file.

Can you share, for one of the affected documents, the file properties?
these are available in the file station on the NAS, Action, Properties, permission.

there should be read/write/ excute

also please share protocol (SMB or AFP) and MacOS version.

Last edited:
Additional Information
  • iOS applications can access both read/write functions on NAS (using .numbers file to test)
  • Test file properties ~ which properties?
    • From MacOS - only ones that seem relevant would be permissions; file not locked.
      • MacOS admin = read/write
      • Everyone else = no access
      • With lock off unable to add additional owners (owner can be added however when highlighting new name and pressing select, nothing happens.) When viewing Users in system preferences the new user added appears in a section called Other Users, with permissions of share only.
    • Synology NAS Parent Share
      • NAS Admin - read/write
SMB and AFP are both enabled.

Related, yet different topic:
While on this topic, something I noticed that appears to happen based on the connection type - I like to have a shortcut folder on the left panel of the MacOS Finder window to the target NAS directory. One connection type handles this well, while the other type gives the shortcut a ?. Upon selection the shortcut you get "“?” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found." - odd when the NAS is already mounted and operating as expected. - test be right back...

SOLVED - thank you for the questions that help resolve the issue EAZ1964!

File access works as expected with AFP.
SMB allows a read write, but applications, on the other hand, aren't playing as well with data files.
SMB also prevents the use of finder native shortcuts to desired NAS directories.

Additional Information
  • iOS applications can access both read/write functions on NAS (using .numbers file to test)
  • Test file properties ~ which properties?
    • From MacOS - only ones that seem relevant would be permissions; file not locked.
      • MacOS admin = read/write
      • Everyone else = no access
      • With lock off unable to add additional owners (owner can be added however when highlighting new name and pressing select, nothing happens.) When viewing Users in system preferences the new user added appears in a section called Other Users, with permissions of share only.
    • Synology NAS Parent Share
      • NAS Admin - read/write
SMB and AFP are both enabled.

Related, yet different topic:
While on this topic, something I noticed that appears to happen based on the connection type - I like to have a shortcut folder on the left panel of the MacOS Finder window to the target NAS directory. One connection type handles this well, while the other type gives the shortcut a ?. Upon selection the shortcut you get "“?” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found." - odd when the NAS is already mounted and operating as expected.

I just opened Numbers and created a test file from one of the templates. I then saved it to a mounted folder on the NAS, via SMB. Did an edit and saved again the closed the file, got this alert:
1668951227168.png

Opened, ediited, then closed. Got the same alert. I can tick the box to ignore this.

I copied this file into my Synology Drive folder on the Mac and was able to edit, save, and close it. Plus version history worked too.

Glad it works out,
I guess that you use an older mac with older MacOS.
Apple has had many issues implementing SMB, and some versions worked, others had issues.
In my case I had similar issues, but the other way around: AFP did not work, I switched to SMB and the last few releases have been consistently stable. So prepare to move forth and back between the two.
AFP is depreciated, so one day you have to move to SMB.

While on this topic, anyone familiar w/Banktivity? I'm looking to keep the Banktivity file on the NAS yet Banktivity prefers the file to be local.

Glad it works out,
I guess that you use an older mac with older MacOS.
Apple has had many issues implementing SMB, and some versions worked, others had issues.
In my case I had similar issues, but the other way around: AFP did not work, I switched to SMB and the last few releases have been consistently stable. So prepare to move forth and back between the two.
AFP is depreciated, so one day you have to move to SMB.
One is a slightly older Mac running Ventura. The issue and troubleshooting is on an M1 Air. running Monterey 12.6 I have SMB for most things....it was the discussion here that pointed me to explore it again...and it might be Monterey <shrug>

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.