DS220+ w/ 4TB Red plus drives slow transfer (1.5MB/s) from 2019 iMAC

NAS
DS220+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Sorry, first NAS user here. I have about 75GB of photos / movies (about 15000 files total) I'm transferring from my 2019 iMac to my DS220+ that is populated with 2 identical WD Red Plus 4TB drives in SHR/mirrored mode. It has been about 5 hours, with estimated 5 hours to go. The Network transfer speed according to the NAS File task monitor is just 1.5 to 2 MB/s, infrequently spiking to 5MB/s (according to the monitor / graph).

I set up the NAS yesterday afternoon, and it looked that it finished the initialization of the drives by the time I started the transfer of this folder tree that I initiated this afternoon. So not thinking that would be the cause.

I initiated the transfer as a file station folder drag/drop into the folder I'd set up on the NAS.

Why are the transfers so slow? Any advice - did I configure or connect something wrong? Or is this transfer rate what you would expect?

The drives and DS220+ were brand new, just configured today with BTRFS file system.

The iMAC is connected via Ethernet to my FIOS G3100 1Gbps router, and the NAS is connected via Ethernet 1 port directly to the FIOS router. Both ethernet cables are the ones that came with my DS220+. CPU and Memory utilization on the NAS are below 20%

The iMAC has 24GB memory, 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5. 1TB Fusion Drive.

1642987531874.png

Thank you for your help / ideas.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 8.07.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 8.07.24 PM.png
    477.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 1642987354846.png
    1642987354846.png
    477.5 KB · Views: 4
NAS
DS620slim, DS415+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Which macOS? We have seen several issues with SMB on the mac side.

NAS
DS220+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I'm on Big Sur 11.6.1. I have SMB Service enabled, with default DSM 7.0.1-42218 settings (Max SMB protocol SMB3, Min SMB protocol SMB2, etc.) [I noted there is a DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 2 available for me to download]

Perhaps I would have better performance if I didn't drag/drop thru DSM browser and just copied the files directly to the drive?

I let it run overnight, but it looks that it stalled, perhaps when my mac went to sleep. It was at 79% this morning. Looking at the performance now, I'm getting between 4 to 10 MB/s, which is obviously much better than yesterday, where frequently I was below 1MB/s and averaged around 1.5 MB/s. Perhaps the drive was still initializing from the prior day, as nothing else has changed on my system / network? It wasn't obvious if that was the case.

The average file size is about 5MB, so it's a lot of files as I noted.

I was thinking I'd get much faster transfer rates on my 125MB/s network, recognizing there would be some loss on file transfer overhead.

NAS
DS220+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Update. Well after all of this, the transfer stopped at 99% with a status "failed to upload 'folder name. The source file does not exist..." Not sure why, the folder is still there and there has been no activity on it.

Anyway - I copied the folder directly after connecting the DS220+ to my Mac vice dragging/dropping thru DSM. I'm still wired the same, through my FIOS router. Now I'm getting 75 MB/s to 105 MB/s sustained, and the entire transfer successfully completed in less than 15 minutes.

Thank you for your engagement and suggestions, there is obviously a lot of overhead with the drag/drop thru DSM.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.