DS220J reported I/O error on Disk1 and now has network connection error so I can't access it

Currently reading
DS220J reported I/O error on Disk1 and now has network connection error so I can't access it

NAS
DS220J
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I am new to this technology but it seems I have had a disk failure that is now preventing me to access the DMS via the web interface. The same applies to the DS Find (Android) although it seems to still be reporting the I/O error. I have copies of the data on the drives so what is the best way forward? A soft reboot or something more? If I can get back in to the system, can I reformat the drive and move forward with confidence...? Thanks for any advice.

Can you give a bit more details on your setup 1st? 2 drives inside the NAS or 1? What's the RAID array setup (if any)?

Where did you get the IO errors listed?

I have copies of the data on the drives
Does this mean external drives other than the NAS itself?

A soft reboot or something more? If I can get back in to the system, can I reformat the drive and move forward with confidence...?
If the drive is defective the reboot will not help here. You need to get the Storage Manager stats to be certain what the problem is so you can take the steps needed.

Share as much data as you can, so we can see what can be done at this point.

Thanks for your reply. Two internal drives in the NAS and no external drive. The RAID format is the default, which I believe is RAID1. The I/O errors are for Disk1 of the internal drives. All attempts to use the web or mobile app to access the device return a "Failed to connect to the Synology NAS. Please check the network connection or IP address of the NAS". My router does show the IP address but typing that into the browser doesn't work. If I use Synology Assistant (Windows) to try and connect to the NAS, it reports the NAS name, IP address, status as 'Ready' etc but on clicking on the NAS line, the web browser tries to load the page but can't...

So you get a blank page? Any web errors? What address are you trying to use? Is it the NAS local ip address? If you are running a mirror setup (RAID1), then you could power down the NAS, open it and pull the Drive 1 out.

After that boot, it up and see if it works. Considering you are running a mirror all data and apps should remain and you should log into your nas fine. The array will be in a degraded mode and you will have to place a new drive in bay1 in order to get back into "green normal" status after the NAS rebuilds the array.

1655904472889.png

Here's the Synology Assistant page which shows the NAS IP address (which is the same as the router says). Trying to load that page in a browser doesn't return any messages or images and eventually times out.
-- post merged: --

Thanks for your earlier tip. Will the NAS reboot from Drive 2 left where it is, or do I need to move it to the Drive 1 (I assume the top) position?

Thanks for your earlier tip. Will the NAS reboot from Drive 2 left where it is, or do I need to move it to the Drive 1 (I assume the top) position?
It will boot up just fine from drive 2 as it is its mirror. Just pull the "defective" drive out and let it boot up.

Thank you. I'll give it a go. It's pretty late here so I will try in the morning and post what happens. Crossing fingers. I assume Drive 1 should be discarded and not reformatted and used again? If not, and given it's only a couple of weeks old, do they have a warranty period?

I assume Drive 1 should be discarded and not reformatted and used again? If not, and given it's only a couple of weeks old, do they have a warranty period?
Well, depending on the drive you should have at least 1y of warranty minimum. If it's only a few weeks old definitely RMA it and get a replacement. When it arrives, put it in bay1 and let DSM fix the array.

Thank you. I just checked and it has a three year warranty. As I head off to bed, would you mind expanding on your comment that the DSM will fix the the array when the replace drive is installed? Is that automatic or will I need to find the process to make that happen?

Hi once again. I removed Disk1 as suggested and I'm pleased to report I could access the NAS via its web page. I followed your last piece of advice, and added Disk1 back in the NAS in the hope it was merely a poor SATA connection that caused the I/O error. The system did boot up but error messages remain as shown in the image....
1655958042298.png

So my question is..... Do I return the drive under its warranty, or is there something I can do (eg reformat the drive and mirror the data from Drive2 back to it) before potentially taking that step?

Thanks once again

As much as that would be a way to test out, keep in mind that trying to repair an array with a potentially bad drive (even if you format it) could have dire consequences.

Considering that its a "new" drive, imho it would be best to return it and RMA it, get a new drive and rebuild with a fresh one.

Looking from the image and the behavior it is pretty safe to say that the drive has problems. Gambling with trying to get the "stats" correctly could cost you in the end.

Just be careful.

Thanks Rusty. I have pretty much decided the same and already contacted the supplier to return it. I do understand they may fix it or replace it but in the long run, it would be safer done by them then me....

I've had the same symptoms and the eventual culprit was the DSM installation.

Forcing DSM to reinstall fixed the issue for good and, as you expected, a failed or failing HDD in RAID1 should not cause the failure you experienced when you have a mirrored array.

☕

That's really interesting. I assume that wiped all your data? At the moment, nothing seems to recognise Drive1 so how did you overcome that as my fear is the reinstall may not resolve my HDD problem.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.