Currently reading
DS2415+ and Seagate Exos X18 18TB?

NAS
DS2415+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I'd never seen this message, but received a scary message when I tried to initialize it. Has anyone actually used this drive, or any 18TB drive, with the DS2415+?

I am thinking about returning it and instead using a smaller capacity drive off the compatibility list, just to be safe. Would just be nice to be able to use such a large capacity drive. I thought this drive was actually on the compatibility list, but I look now and don't see it (or anything above 16TB), so I guess I was mistaken.

I am running DSM 7.1-42661.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

1657246700966.png

Solution
This will be an increasing warning even on older models. Considering Synology's HDD campaign, as long as the drive is not flagged as "not supported" it will work. Still, you might get into trouble if you end up needed their support. The will deny you assistance if you are using a drive that is not on the compatibility list.

So you have drives that are on the list (compatible), not on the list (meaning not officially compatible/tested but working), and not supported.
This will be an increasing warning even on older models. Considering Synology's HDD campaign, as long as the drive is not flagged as "not supported" it will work. Still, you might get into trouble if you end up needed their support. The will deny you assistance if you are using a drive that is not on the compatibility list.

So you have drives that are on the list (compatible), not on the list (meaning not officially compatible/tested but working), and not supported.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks, guys. I am initializing now and will post back the results when it's done, so that anyone else that might have this particular question can find a definitive answer from my experience. I appreciate the encouragement and help!

Upvote 0
I had the same approximate message when I used 2x Seagate 1TB 7200rpm Barracuda’s in my new 720+ (Had revised firmware on them).
I had used all available funds getting NAS, ram, & NVME’s, and had these on shelf. So continued on……..
That was 3 months ago. No issues I’ve seen.

Now the plan is to upgrade thes drives later when funds are available…… I again plan on Seagate drives, probably Ironwolf 7200’s. At that time, I assume I may see same prompt—Which also will be ignored! Seagate has 30+ year history making drives… Synology has 30 some week history making drives….Which would I trust with my data?

Upvote 0
Hello again, everyone. The Exos X18 drive finally finished initializing and all seems to be well. My storage space is increased and nothing is obviously amiss. I've been using it for a few hours now, no problems. I appreciate the responses and hope anyone else wondering this same question will find this post useful.

Upvote 0
Hello again, everyone. The Exos X18 drive finally finished initializing and all seems to be well. My storage space is increased and nothing is obviously amiss. I've been using it for a few hours now, no problems. I appreciate the responses and hope anyone else wondering this same question will find this post useful.
So that drive is 4kn sector, did you add it to an existing pool? Does the pool you added to contain other 4kn sector drives or 512n sector drives? or did you create a new pool just for it? I was under the impression you should not/can not mix 4kn sector drives with 512n sector drives (and vice versa).
1657587782330.png

1657587896668.png

I have wondered about this myself, mixing 4kn sector and 512n sector drives, I have to assume since they (synology) advise against it, its probably a bad idea?
*note: Not trying to be a jerk, genuinely asking the question.

Upvote 0
So that drive is 4kn sector, did you add it to an existing pool? Does the pool you added to contain other 4kn sector drives or 512n sector drives? or did you create a new pool just for it? I was under the impression you should not/can not mix 4kn sector drives with 512n sector drives (and vice versa).

I have wondered about this myself, mixing 4kn sector and 512n sector drives, I have to assume since they (synology) advise against it, its probably a bad idea?
*note: Not trying to be a jerk, genuinely asking the question.

I saw that Synology warning a while back, but to be honest, I had forgotten about it. I know some of my drives are not 4k native, but interestingly enough, look at this screen shot and note what it says about Drive 10 (this Exos X18 drive):

1657589253497.png

It's in the same pool as all my other drives. I have read that some drives can do both... maybe that's what's going on here? I am pretty sure that's not the only 4k drive I've got in the pool, but equally certain some of the older drives are definitely not 4k. I read somewhere that to get the drive to be recognized as a 4k drive, I would need to use a utility called Hugo to convert from 512e to 4k mode. That's all getting above my head, as I'm not a hardware or storage guy.

Upvote 0
I know I've read somewhere the 4kn drives to 512e (emulated) for compatibility. I know I asked this question before somewhere, mixing 4kn with 512n drives, and the consensus was dont read so much... ?
It will be interesting to read the replies from the gurus on this, its all above my pay grade too.

Upvote 0
I know I've read somewhere the 4kn drives to 512e (emulated) for compatibility. I know I asked this question before somewhere, mixing 4kn with 512n drives, and the consensus was dont read so much... ?
It will be interesting to read the replies from the gurus on this, its all above my pay grade too.

Yikes... don't read too much... on a NAS? I guess I will be in trouble if that's the case! Most of my operations are reading data! lol

Upvote 0
Call me old, I don’t care: but from issues discovered many years ago, I’ve learned to always use identical drives & firmware on ALL multi drive systems. That was necessary years ago and following that rule now just gives one another layer of compatibility and comfort for me. Hardware then was more persnickety then than now, but identical in every way just makes sense as a plan of attack at any time.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.