• Hello Guest! SynoForum.com is celebrating its 5th anniversary! 🥳🎉 Read more...

DS411 -> 4x16TB drives possible?

Currently reading
DS411 -> 4x16TB drives possible?

NAS
DS411, DS413j
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Hello,

I´ve got a hunch that this must have been asked before, but I haven´t been able to find it via the search function, therefore I apologize in advance :)

I´ve got a "vintage" DS411 which comes with a maximum volume size of 16TB. Right now, I´ve got 4 8TB drives inside with 2 Raid1 volumes of 8TB each.
Now I need more space, but I don´t need more speed or fancy new features, therefore I want to swap the 8TB drives for 16TB drives instead of buying a newer DS.

Do I get this right?
  • There is no such thing as a "maximum drive size", therefore 16TB drives should work. Exos X20 drives should work.
  • Configuring 2 16TB drives as a Raid1 16TB volume on a 16TB storage pool is within said 16TB limit. The "summed up" storage in the pool of 32TB (2x16) does not matter.
-> 4x16TB in the DS411 should work. Correct?

Thanks!

That's a lot of Data to pin on a 13 year old box. You sure you can't find a newer one?
I could easily go out and buy a DS423, but feel a bit sorry about wasting a NAS that´s apparently in fine working order (after all it typically just ran for 2-3 days in an average month).

Would I risk that when the NAS goes down one day it´ll damage the HDs/their data beyond repair?

I could easily go out and buy a DS423, but feel a bit sorry about wasting a NAS that´s apparently in fine working order (after all it typically just ran for 2-3 days in an average month).

Would I risk that when the NAS goes down one day it´ll damage the HDs/their data beyond repair?
Failure of the NAS doesn't "damage" the Drives in it unless the NAS were damaged physically, which in turn could damage the drives.

Most of us run our NAS 24/7 and connect to it daily or have other using it. Downtime is a big factor for some of us. If you are just turning it on for a back up target then it's just a glorified network USB drive.

The risk of the NAS dying is equal to the importance of my data. I like to upgrade every 3-4 years on the NAS and as soon as the drives start showing errors.

Also, I can tell you since my first synology DS213 to my current DS1821+ the performance is VASTLY increased. From basically to a network USB drive to a 24/7 server for files, media, backups and Storage.

My older NAS are not wasted, they are back up targets to my main and a sandbox test bed. I like to fiddle.

Thanks everyone! It seems my idea of just using the vintage box with new HDs isn´t entirely popular :)

Yeah, my NAS is exactly a "glorified" USB drive solely purchased for the convenience of having lots of storage in one box, with easy RAID configuration and the ability to have it in another room, definitely not serving as a "server" in any way. On the other hand, yes, it´s very valuable production data I´m handling.

I´ll have a look at buying a DS423 and putting bigger drives in the current DS411 as a mirror box in another location (which I´d thought of before anyway), that way I won´t have to throw it away and feel bad about it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.