DS411slim problems

Currently reading
DS411slim problems

NAS
DS411slim
Operating system
  1. Windows
Hello
I am tasked with a Synology DS411slim NAS box which I have been unable to access.
I connected it to a router which also has a laptop connected (nothing else connected and wifi turned off). Installed Synology Assistant on the laptop.
When I power up the NAS - the drive leds light up for a few seconds then go off, a blinking blue power light and the LAN LED flickering. I waited for ages but nothing else happens.
I started Synology Assistant to see if it registered the unit but says no devices.
I tried to power down by holding in the Power button to no avail so had to unplug.
I unclipped / removed the drives and repowered but still get the same result.
I have been going thru the internet for days trying to find a solution.
Reconnected the drives, cable connected directly to a laptop that is on internet via wifi.
I have now (after many unplugging and repowering) to get the status light blinking and it is seen on Synology Assistant - which reports DSM not installed - and goes thru the installation wizard. I have done this but then hits an error 38 and will not proceed unless I open a port and contact synology...
The most important thing is to recover the digital files on it.
Many thanks for any assistance you could extend to us.
Bob Carroll

hits an error 38
This will probably mean 2 things.

1) problem on the NAS side (communication with the drives)
2) problem with the drives themselves

If DSM is unable to load up best to not mess with them too much. Place the drives in a PC and run ubuntu or another Linux distro and mount the drives and get access to the partition - DiskStation Manager - Knowledge Base | Synology Inc.

Upvote 0
This will probably mean 2 things.

1) problem on the NAS side (communication with the drives)
2) problem with the drives themselves

If DSM is unable to load up best to not mess with them too much. Place the drives in a PC and run ubuntu or another Linux distro and mount the drives and get access to the partition - DiskStation Manager - Knowledge Base | Synology Inc.
Many thanks Rusty for responding - I will follow what is in the link from Synology website in the coming days when I have renewed my enthusiasm to attack the synology - I have 2 other NAS boxes (not synology) to interrogate and see what files I can recover for the archive. Again appreciate your advice - Bob

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.