Currently reading
DS412+ to DS1621+ migration

NAS
DS1621+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Well I’m finally replacing my well aged DS412+ with the DS1621+. The current DS412 is Ext4 and I’m going to be using BTRF on the new NAS. That being said I need to migrate about 8TB from old to the new and I’m dreading copying 8TB. What are the best options for a speedy migration? I fear the only option is to mount both shared on a computer and just do a straight copy. Are there any tools within Synology that would be suited to automate the data copy/migration? Or is there a 3rd party tool (aside from just doing FTP)? Do I need the computer? Can I just find the the old NAS on the network through the webui on the new one and just mount it directly and copy? What is the best way to do this? Thanks!!

Can I just find the the old NAS on the network through the webui on the new one and just mount it directly and copy?
Make a new volume on the new nas, use File Station and it’s remote volume map options (tool menu) and connect to the 412. Then just copy that data.

The most reliable way to do this IMO is to run Shared Folder Sync from the old unit to the new unit. Then, optionally, import the config backup from the old to the new.
Will compression speed this up at all or it just saves on bandwidth used?

I've never checked that box. IDK. Since you have a plus unit, I would give it a go, as your CPU likely has ample capacity.
I actually started the transfer before I saw this post. I chose not to use compression just in case... the device I'm migrating from is 412+ and the source is the one the initiates the Rsync task so I didn't think there was enough CPU in that old device to do compression on the fly.

one thing though - I'm only getting about 70MBps on average throughput when copying through Rsync from the old NAS to the new one... I would have expected much more - at least 200MBps. Any idea why it could be going so slow or is my expectation completely off base?

I actually started the transfer before I saw this post. I chose not to use compression just in case... the device I'm migrating from is 412+ and the source is the one the initiates the Rsync task so I didn't think there was enough CPU in that old device to do compression on the fly.

one thing though - I'm only getting about 70MBps on average throughput when copying through Rsync from the old NAS to the new one... I would have expected much more - at least 200MBps. Any idea why it could be going so slow or is my expectation completely off base?
I would say your expectation is optimistic. Assuming you are on a 1Gbit network, then that alone will limit your speeds somewhat.

Last edited:

70MB/s is quite normal for SynoNAS, which is also my long time complaint. Neither with USB 3.0 nor with 1Gb Ethernet can you reach higher transferring speed, which makes NAS data migration very tiresome/risky. (EDIT: Have you tried directly install the HDDs into new NAS let it do the migration? could it online convert the file system from EXT4 to BTRF?, PS: macOS can convert HFS+ to APFS, why Synology/BTRF not?)

Apart from complaint on Synology, I have thought about the reason, may the CPU/RAM is bottleneck in the whole chain of transfer( i.e .the weakest point defines the final speed), or even the HDD itself! Maybe try SSD. I heard of Synology is implementing fusion disk with SSD/PCIe/NVMe? But never see any benchmarking.

In fact that's one of the reasons, my next NAS is not Synology NAS, but a Mac Mini with TB3 port, and I am going to restrict myself not go further of 2TB data.(expansion never ends like stuffs in your house, always a even bigger house?.... same issue with FED/ECB printing money and inflation LOL)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.