DS416 dead

NAS
DS416
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi everybody!
Got dead DS416(no disks) from my friend, history not known, he guess that it died during/after firmware update.
Solid blue light, yellow/orange flashing. Synology Assistant not finding it at the network. Connected with serial, looks like loading ok, but not getting desent IP-adress - 169.254.12.171 only, writes: link connected ( from upper lan connector, in lower showing nothing).
Tried to connect with laptop lan, configured at the same ip range and 192.168.0(1,2,3).1 - nothing, no connection... LAN led's showing activity all the time.
At serial log seems that USB-boot is not enabled...
Any solutions to get lan DHPC to work or leave it and not to waste time with it?

Yes, I have - 4 sec, beep, release, push again, 4 sec, beep....Nothing happends - don't allow reset, why, I dont know...
Try and do it a few more times. Also, try and do that without any drives in it and see if that will make a difference.

Last edited:
Try and do it a few more times. Also, try and do that without any drives in it and see if that will make a difference.
Tried 10 times ( without disks as I don't have them), LAN cable in one connector, at second connector, no LAN cable - same thing all the time, only one beep and never more and no Advanced IP Scanner nor Synology Assistant finds this MAC adress...LAN led still blinking, showing activity...

Strange - as soon I press "find" at find.synology.com, LAN led shows activity....but no NAS is found...

Tried 10 times ( without disks as I don't have them), LAN cable in one connector, at second connector, no LAN cable - same thing all the time, only one beep and never more and no Advanced IP Scanner nor Synology Assistant finds this MAC adress...LAN led still blinking, showing activity...

Strange - as soon I press "find" at find.synology.com, LAN led shows activity....but no NAS is found...
Well not sure what to tell you in this case. Could be a problem with the nas itself. Maybe it's a power supply problem. If you could get a new PSU for it and try maybe that would help, but I'm grasping here. This could mean that your NAS is probably not worth the trouble, especially a model that old.

As power 12V is present (and there are no drives to drain the power), I agree with You, that I have spent too much time to play with it and its not worth it....Thank You for Your time!
If somebody have ideas, what to try, I can try, but more likes, that this NAS is garbage now....

Hi everybody!
Got dead DS416(no disks) from my friend, history not known, he guess that it died during/after firmware update.
Solid blue light, yellow/orange flashing. Synology Assistant not finding it at the network. Connected with serial, looks like loading ok, but not getting desent IP-adress - 169.254.12.171 only, writes: link connected ( from upper lan connector, in lower showing nothing).
Tried to connect with laptop lan, configured at the same ip range and 192.168.0(1,2,3).1 - nothing, no connection... LAN led's showing activity all the time.
Any solutions to get lan DHPC to work or leave it and not to waste time with it?
Hello VectraT

I too have Synology DS416, which was dead due to hdd issues for sometime, I fixed it yesterday and is now working fine. Hopefully, my post may help or motive you not to give up and try these steps. I am sure its a classic example of DSM not present on the device, and we may have to find ways to load DSM onto device.

When I started my restoration of device, after plugging 4 new HDD's. I could see status light shift to orange flashing on DS416 constantly. I referred this article on Internet, and followed the steps.

However, it may be different in your case as the according to you, Firmware update caused the problem and may have damaged the initial onboard programming which gets IP or devices or I also believe, synology assistant can connect via USB too (Not sure). or USB booting of DSM .pat files is a possibility for exploration.

I have attached a screenshot for you to have a crosscheck additionally incase Synology assistant fails to identify the device on network. Since DS416 has dual Ethernet ports, try using the second one (maybe already done by you), please cross check your DHCP server is able to give IP to other new devices on network, IP pool is properly sub netted to accommodate new devices and and then go to find.synology.com. I could locate my Synology device almost immediately. It automatically prompted me in install DSM the next screen, and was straight forward installation for me from there.

I felt you were in my same shoes of loosing the Device, hence took some time to respond back to the post. I did not want to give up a device which could possibly be revived. lets do our bit. Based on your response and findings on above, I will respond.

Thanks and Regards

Sunil Nair (www.nairsunilg.com)

Attachments

• test1.png
    test1.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 33
  • test2.png
    test2.png
    106.8 KB · Views: 33
Thanks for reply!
But with this DS seems nothing helps - have tried both LAN connectors, different routers and laptop. Nothing - it's not visible in network. Reset button works, but only one beep, and nothing resets. 2. level reset not working, no 3-beeps.
But LAN led flashing, as there would be some kind of traffic. I guess the software side is damaged and untill somebody can figure out how to reinstall it from USB (seems that USB boot is not active), there is no solution to get this box alive...

Can the not getting IP-adress be in missing drives? As I got this dead NAS without disks, I have not tried to boot it with 4 disks, only one and this didnt help...Weird, that LAN led is showing activity all the time, but it not getting IP adress. Yesterday evening spent again 2-3 hours, downloaded DHPC server to laptop and tried different IP ranges, but nothing...

Last edited:
Okey, but why factory reset does not work?
-- post merged: --

Maybe serial log helps to understand, what going on?

Attachments

• serial log.txt
    24.8 KB · Views: 27
Figured out DiskStation login, root+passw, got in:

"BusyBox v1.16.1 (2018-08-10 04:41:35 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands."

Any help of that?

Nobody haven't played with command line?? Install fiemware from USB somehow? Never set static IP with commands in BusyBox?

Nobody haven't played with command line?? Install fiemware from USB somehow? Never set static IP with commands in BusyBox?
Apart from back in the day playing with it on an xpenology box, but no, never on an official appliance.

Last edited:
Hi!
For today I can load zImage and rd.bin via serial to synology (Tera Term, "loady"), but still no lan connection.
What is the right command to set boot?
I did "setenv bootcmd bootm 8000000 7500000 3B84008"
"saveenv"
When I just give command "reboot", it reboots, but when I power it off and on again, it says after u-boot:
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
ALPINE_DB>

So I made a mistake with this "setenv bootcmd..."
What could be the right command and place to load it?

Hi everybody!
Hi VectraT

Where is the serial connector and what type of speed/protocol we have to use ?
thx

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.