DS420j is not putting disks into HDD hibernation... how to resolve this/find more details as whats causing it?

Currently reading
DS420j is not putting disks into HDD hibernation... how to resolve this/find more details as whats causing it?

NAS
DS420J
Operating system
  1. Windows
heya

so i just got my hands on a DS420j and im finding that the HDDs are not going into hibernation.
latest DSM installed - DSM 7.0-41890

i have a power meter connected so i can see that its using around 28-30W. After waiting the allocated time of 10min im expecting that to drop to the stated 7w .. but this is not happening.

so my nas is pretty basic in setup.. running an SMB share which is connected to a windows 2012R2 server.
On the server i have plex, sonarr and radarr installed.

i have not installed any other packages onto the DS420 itself
i have uninstalled ActiveInsight, SAN manager, Python2, SecureSignIn, SynoFinder.

in regards to the HDD hibernation, its set to 10 minutes.
i have followed this guide What stops my Synology NAS from entering Hibernation? - Synology Knowledge Center
most of this didnt apply to me as i havent enabled any additional features.. if anything ive disabled more.

so im a bit lost as to why this is happening and the logs dont really say much. My initial thoughts were that plex/radarr/sonarr are scanning over the smb connection and thats keeping the nas hdd's alive.. but i cannot find any indication that this is the case...my plex setup is to scan when it detects a change and it only runs once a day... so im not sure this is the case.
radarr/sonarr do scans every 12 hours so i expect the disks to wake up then but the issue is happening outside these scans.

could the SMB connection be the issue here? could that be constantly triggering something?

Also,
ive noticed that these processes and others are constantly running.
it has very low cpu usage but its still constantly running... maybe its this process thats stopping the hdd's from going into hibernation?

synoscgi.SYNO.core.CurrentConnection_1_list
synoscgi.SYNO.core.System.Process_1_list

there are a few others that keep popping up

smbd
postgres
snmpd
synosnmpcd
synonode

not really sure what these do as yet or if they are related to the hibernation issue.

is there a way to get more detailed logs out of the DS420j?
let me know if you need any more info...

appreciate any help!

cheers!
-- post merged: --

just add to this.. here is my performance readings.. as you can see.. nothing is happening
1629820325003.png

processes

1629820369576.png

My 10cents are on plex, sonarr and radar.
Best to stop the plex package and see what happens and then the other two if it is not plex. You can easily stop the packages from the package centre.

My 10cents are on plex, sonarr and radar.
Best to stop the plex package and see what happens and then the other two if it is not plex. You can easily stop the packages from the package centre.

plex, sonarr and radarr are installed on the windows server i got.
i havent installed the packages for those apps on the NAS itself.

only file station and SMB service is installed.

1629821829023.png

Good news.
If it wakes up again, try to pull the network cable to try out if that helps, often a nas is kept awake by network messages, then you have to find out which device sends out the broadcast.

when i accessed the admin page it woke the nas up ...
so im waiting for it to go into hibernation again to see how it will react when i try to access something via plex...

as i type this the disks went into hibernation mode again... amazing

i will fire up plex in a few minutes and see how long it takes to play something
-- post merged: --

probably took about a minute or so before the the video file started playing
i was watching the hdd lights and i saw them turn on a few seconds after pressing play in plex.
well so far so good.. ill test a few more things

im still baffled as to why hibernation was not working and now it is....

This probably won't help. I recently rebuilt my nas, "clean install" No apps where installed and it went to sleep that nite. The next day I installed the basics and setup SMB, after that no more nap time. Also tried disconnecting the cat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.