DS916+ Automatically install [DSM 7.1-42661 Update 2] failed

Currently reading
DS916+ Automatically install [DSM 7.1-42661 Update 2] failed

DS916+ (with 8Gb RAM) last night per scheduled event tried to update DSM but failed...
Current DSM = DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 4

The odd part is that the Notifications in DSM Web UI says things like this:
DSM Automatic Update cancelled on ####. Please go to Control Panel > Update & Restore to manually update DSM. The reasons for the cancellation will be displayed on the screen. Details
and
DSM Automatic Update failed on ####. Click here to check the status in DSM Update. Details

Control Panel > Update & Restore says that DSM is all up to date, even when I log out of DSM and back in.

When I looked in Log Center, this is the sum total of event logs relating to this event:
Start install [DSM 7.1-42661 Update 2] automatically.
Failed to update the server.
Automatically install [DSM 7.1-42661 Update 2] failed.

I don't see anything like a "reason" listed there!
Does anyone know where in the DSM file system the actually useful logs might be buried?

Is this perhaps an example of Synology starting to push out migrations from DSM 7.0.1 > DSM 7.1 but then pulling the same - or - marking a DS916+ as "not ready yet" ?
For potentially the latter reason (incompatibility) I am hesitant to do a manual update until I can read something useful in some logs...

I don't really run many packages at all, and this is the first instance I can recall of an automated update failing in the time I have had this NAS since new!
My update setting is set to "Automatically install the latest update".
Just now, I toggled it to the (recommended) option of "Automatically install important updates that fixed critical security issues and bugs", saved change and them toggled it back to my prior update setting.
I will leave the auto-update schedule active so it should have another attempt tonight.

Anyone else seen similar events with your NAS on DSM 7.0.1 and same update settings ?
Cheers,
tU

DS916+ (with 8Gb RAM) last night per scheduled event tried to update DSM but failed...
Current DSM = DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 4

The odd part is that the Notifications in DSM Web UI says things like this:
DSM Automatic Update cancelled on ####. Please go to Control Panel > Update & Restore to manually update DSM. The reasons for the cancellation will be displayed on the screen. Details
and
DSM Automatic Update failed on ####. Click here to check the status in DSM Update. Details

Control Panel > Update & Restore says that DSM is all up to date, even when I log out of DSM and back in.

When I looked in Log Center, this is the sum total of event logs relating to this event:
Start install [DSM 7.1-42661 Update 2] automatically.
Failed to update the server.
Automatically install [DSM 7.1-42661 Update 2] failed.

I don't see anything like a "reason" listed there!
Does anyone know where in the DSM file system the actually useful logs might be buried?

Is this perhaps an example of Synology starting to push out migrations from DSM 7.0.1 > DSM 7.1 but then pulling the same - or - marking a DS916+ as "not ready yet" ?
For potentially the latter reason (incompatibility) I am hesitant to do a manual update until I can read something useful in some logs...

I don't really run many packages at all, and this is the first instance I can recall of an automated update failing in the time I have had this NAS since new!
My update setting is set to "Automatically install the latest update".
Just now, I toggled it to the (recommended) option of "Automatically install important updates that fixed critical security issues and bugs", saved change and them toggled it back to my prior update setting.
I will leave the auto-update schedule active so it should have another attempt tonight.

Anyone else seen similar events with your NAS on DSM 7.0.1 and same update settings ?
Cheers,
tU

If you do decide manual install, these are the updates you have to do in order
78AACD94-CB4E-4FEB-9F6E-ACAFF87B0A6F.png

-- post merged: --

Also have you tried a nas reboot and then try and update again?

If you do decide manual install, these are the updates you have to do in order
View attachment 9947
Thanks for that. Would DSM not detect the "update 2" as being required after manually updating to 7.1-42661-update1 ?
I'd still like to try to find out why the automatic update failed, before I attempt a manual update.
I'm not sure where the logs are kept though...

Thanks for that. Would DSM not detect the "update 2" as being required after manually updating to 7.1-42661-update1 ?
I'd still like to try to find out why the automatic update failed, before I attempt a manual update.
I'm not sure where the logs are kept though...
Recently on my rs820+ I got impatient waiting for the update so I manually went to update 7.1 update 1. Two weeks later my ds718+ received an update notice to update to 7.1 update 2 from 7.0.1. I waited a few days to see if my rs820 would have grabbed it, but then I manually updated that one again. Not sure what the deal is with what you’re seeing.

In the past, and not just with synology devices, when an update failed I’d reboot and try again and 8-9 times out of 10 it’ll take.

I also don’t do auto installs, in case they push a bad update I don’t need to deal with the recovery. So I wait a few and see if any others have successfully installed. I usually do this with the bigger releases, the minor ones I’ll install right away or after a short few days to see if it gets pulled.

Last edited:
Yeah I also "used to" only do the recommended option ie automatically install only the critical updates.
I became impatient & worried about some of the critical SAs from Synology especially earlier this year, 2x for samba, 2x for DSM, openSSL and Spring4Shell, and the length of time it was taking for updates on older branches of DSM.
At the start of the year I still ran DSM6.2.4 and by the time we got to SA-22:03 (DSM) I was like "nope, need to be on a newer branch these critical updates are taking waaaay too long to arrive".

I definitely don't jump on new major release DSM until well after it's hit general release and reading the forums most issues seem resolved.
I'll give it a restart as you suggest, and let it have another go at self-update then try the manual update.
Ta, tU

LOL, I just checked the status of the NAS (again).
Control Panel > Update & Restore showed:
DSM 7.1-42661 Update 2 is available for download

The current update setting is at the "recommended" one ie automatically install only the important updates.
That had NOT been showing when I checked several times already today.
Now I am worried Synology have somehow installed a hidden microphone in my NAS and been using it to eavesdrop on me ;-)

Downloaded fine and have pressed the update button now. Will report outcome.

Update from DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 4 to DSM 7.1-42661 Update 2 completed ok, took about 10mins.

The following 6x packages were automatically-updated post DSM update:
Audio Station
Advanced Media Extensions
Synology Directory Server
Hyper Backup
Video Station - I should just uninstall this I never use it!
exFAT Access

2x listed in Package Manager as "update available":
DNS Server
Synology Application Service

When updating the latter one, DSM advised as part of the update it would also stop the Synology Photos service.
I chose yes to continue.
However, the update of BOTH of those applications failed. DSM said "waiting..." then "Updating..." then went back to "Update is available".
Tried a couple of times - same result.

tried doing JUST DNS server individually instead of "update all packages".
Same result.
Waited a few minutes, tried DNS Server again (alone) and it upgraded successfully.
Tried Synology Application Service again next and it too completed ok.
Patience is, as they say a virtue...

Going to give DSM a full restart, before I go using anything as such, but there are no updates pending anywhere at this stage.

SSH into your NAS and check the /var/log/messages file for more details. Maybe there you will find some more info.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.