Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Hi,

I currently have a 916+ and I need more disk bays. I was thinking about buying a DX517 and create a new volume.

The second option is to upgrade to a DS1821+. From what I understand, upgrading from a 916+ to a 1821+ is supported? When using the migration too, does everything is migrated or there is some things I'll have to reconfigure? I have a lot of 3rd party apps and docker containers.

And about the features, will I lose something? I think that everything is an upgrade except the 1821+ doesn't support hardware transcoding (which I don't use). Am I right? Does this mean DS video isn't supported?

Anything I miss ?

And about option 1 (DX517), any experiences to share about it? Since it's half the price of 1821+, it would be more logical... I mean my DS916+ is kind of old but it's been rock solid.

thanks!

upgrading from a 916+ to a 1821+ is supported?
You will be able to move your 916 setup (with drives if you want to) to the new NAS, yes

When using the migration too, does everything is migrated or there is some things I'll have to reconfigure?
Just like with a drive migration there might be some packages that might need to be "fixed" by means of reinstalling the correct version for the CPU in the new NAS. You will get a warning on the matter and installing the new version will fix the problem.

have a lot of 3rd party apps and docker containers.
Docker will not be an issue but 3rd party apps might be. If those are really class 3 3rd party apps (not supported by Synology but coming from a 3rd party repo), then you might have an issue if the packages are not complied and build to work with that new CPU. Check this ahead of time and preferably find a Docker alternative for that app.

I think that everything is an upgrade except the 1821+ doesn't support hardware transcoding
Yes AMD cpu do not support HW transcode

Does this mean DS video isn't supported?
No, Video Station and DS Video mobile app will work (supported models, check the link) - Video Station - Add-on Packages | Synology Inc.

And about option 1 (DX517), any experiences to share about it? Since it's half the price of 1821+, it would be more logical... I mean my DS916+ is kind of old but it's been rock solid.
The expansion box is usually almost the same price as the standalone main unit. In this case, comparing 916+ expansion VS a new 8bay NAS is not really fair. You have a 5+y old NAS VS a brand new model and even the number of bays are in this case almost even that the only thing you could compare them to (storage space).

If you opt for an expansion, be sure to not stretch your main 916 volume across to the expansion but create a new separate volume on the expansion. Also, if anything happens to your 916 nas down the road, your expansion will be of no use to use to you until you plug it into a compatible main unit.

IMHO, it would be worth looking for an upgrade at this point from a perspective of a new unit and maybe keep 916 as a spare/backup/remote backup NAS.

You will be able to move your 916 setup (with drives if you want to) to the new NAS, yes

Just like with a drive migration there might be some packages that might need to be "fixed" by means of reinstalling the correct version for the CPU in the new NAS. You will get a warning on the matter and installing the new version will fix the problem.

Docker will not be an issue but 3rd party apps might be. If those are really class 3 3rd party apps (not supported by Synology but coming from a 3rd party repo), then you might have an issue if the packages are not complied and build to work with that new CPU. Check this ahead of time and preferably find a Docker alternative for that app.

Yes AMD cpu do not support HW transcode

No, Video Station and DS Video mobile app will work (supported models, check the link) - Video Station - Add-on Packages | Synology Inc.

The expansion box is usually almost the same price as the standalone main unit. In this case, comparing 916+ expansion VS a new 8bay NAS is not really fair. You have a 5+y old NAS VS a brand new model and even the number of bays are in this case almost even that the only thing you could compare them to (storage space).

If you opt for an expansion, be sure to not stretch your main 916 volume across to the expansion but create a new separate volume on the expansion. Also, if anything happens to your 916 nas down the road, your expansion will be of no use to use to you until you plug it into a compatible main unit.

IMHO, it would be worth looking for an upgrade at this point from a perspective of a new unit and maybe keep 916 as a spare/backup/remote backup NAS.
thanks!

I must admit, the 1821+ is looking good but my budget isn't right now. On top of the 1821+, I would need to buy RAM because 4gb isn't enough (my DS916+ has 8gb and it still swaps...).

I decided to go with the DX517 for now. In a year or 2 I'll upgrade to a smaller one (like the 1621+) and I will attach the DX517 to it. I will also keep the 916+ for offsite backup.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back