Currently reading
DS918+ changing from ext4 to Btrfs

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hello, thanks for all who have contributed to this forum, have learnt a lot over the last fortnight while reading here.

Unfortunately while reading here I realised I didn't make the best choice of file system originally. I chose ext4 because it matched the DS410J I have and because I saw merit in being able to read an ext4 drive out of the NAS in case of total failure. I now realise all the advantages of btfrs.

I would like to confirm if I have a decent handle on changing to btfrs. I have a ds918+ with 2 x 12tb in Raid 1 used for our small business and 2 x 4tb in Raid 1 used for movies by the family. Each pair is it's own storage pool and one volume, the two 12tb are disk 1 & 2, with I assume the operating system on them. My intention was to use Hyberbackup to backup all the business data on the two 12tb disks, also backup the DSM setup, then delete the volume on the 12tb. Then recreate the volume in btfrs, then use Hyperbackup to restore. Is that the way everyone would suggest to go about it, or would they start from scratch? Thanks in advance. Simon

use Hyberbackup to backup all the business data on the two 12tb disks, also backup the DSM setup, then delete the volume on the 12tb
There is no way around it. The current volume has to be destroyed before you can make it into a new btrfs volume. Backup and restore would be the only way forward.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Thanks Rusty, thanks very much! Most helpful.

PS Rusty if you write Blackvoid Club, very impressive. Have read that as well in the last week, it reads very well

Upvote 0
When in doubt: rethink if you really want/need BTRFS, there may be much less of interest than you anticipate at first instance.
If you will not use the enterprise features like run snapshots , don't bother and keep it on Ext4.

Upvote 0
I would like to confirm if I have a decent handle on changing to btfrs. I have a ds918+ with 2 x 12tb in Raid 1 used for our small business and 2 x 4tb in Raid 1 used for movies by the family. Each pair is it's own storage pool and one volume, the two 12tb are disk 1 & 2, with I assume the operating system on them. My intention was to use Hyberbackup to backup all the business data on the two 12tb disks, also backup the DSM setup, then delete the volume on the 12tb. Then recreate the volume in btfrs, then use Hyperbackup to restore. Is that the way everyone would suggest to go about it, or would they start from scratch? Thanks in advance. Simon
All drives have a partition on which the DSM OS is installed and maintained.

When you install packages from Package Center they will be installed to one of the volumes on the NAS. Typically people start out with one storage pool with one volume, in this situation Package Center's settings doesn't display the option to select which volume to install packages.

When a NAS has more than one volume you will see in Package Center there is now a setting to select where packages are installed. For example, this is mine:
1690841800814.png

When you remove a volume/storage pool then you'll also lose the packages that are installed on it. So you should backup the packages and restore them too.

Upvote 0
Eaz1964, thanks for the warning. I think I am prepared for the hassle of the upgrade and wanted to set myself up for the future. I notice a number of packages only work on btfrs.

Fredbert thanks for showing me that section, I am sure everything is on volume 1 so will be sure to back all the packages up

Upvote 0
Just wanted to thank everyone who posted. Followed everyone's advice and it worked perfectly. Also updated the memory to 8gb and installed two Seagate Firecuda 530 500gb as cache (probably overkill but were on special). Doesn't seem to be any performance hit with BTFRS (or the additional hardware covered it). Thanks very much

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.