DS918+ total capacity limited at 20TB after expansion

Currently reading
DS918+ total capacity limited at 20TB after expansion

NAS
DS918
Operating system
  1. Windows
My DS918+ used to have 2 storage pools with 10 TB drive each. I added 2 12 TB drives into my NAS under the first storage pool. The total capacity is now 20TB, instead of 31 / 30 TB I was expecting.

I upgraded to DSM7 but it doesn't help. When I click the ellipsis button, I can't see Modify Size option. The option of Converting Single-Volume Storage Pool to Multiple-Volume Storage Pool also doesn't appear. Can someone please help?
DS918 - 1.png

DS918 - 2.png

There is one disk redundancy (RAID). So if one disk fails, no data is lost. This great functionality comes at the cost of disk space.
You can check this with the synology raid calculator on their website.

There is one disk redundancy (RAID). So if one disk fails, no data is lost. This great functionality comes at the cost of disk space.
You can check this with the synology raid calculator on their website.
Thanks. Is there any way to disable one disk redundancy RAID? I tried to Change RAID type but the only option is another RAID type.
1639031716015.png

There are two possibilities, but both require you to delete the current volume.
Once you can start again, you can setup separate volumes (like you had in the past).
or
setup raid0 or jobd setup.

Beware if you choose the latter: if one disk fails or need upgrade, you will loose ALL your data.

My DS918+ used to have 2 storage pools with 10 TB drive each. I added 2 12 TB drives into my NAS under the first storage pool. The total capacity is now 20TB, instead of 31 / 30 TB I was expecting.
So you had?
  • Storage pool 1: 1x 10 TB drive in SHR array, so with no redundancy
  • Storage pool 2: 1x 10 TB drive in SHR array, ditto.

You then added two 12 TB drives and from the screen shot it looks that this is probably the new set up:
  • Storage pool 1: 1x 10 TB drive plus 2x 12 TB drives in SHR array, so with one disk redundancy
  • Storage pool 2: 1x 10 TB drive in SHR array, with no redundancy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.