Currently reading
DS920+ and UPS strange behavior.

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
New user. What a great resource. I just set up a DS920+ and when I plug in the UPS it immediately goes into battery mode and starts beeping. When I unplug the usb cable the nas front panel shifts to the red low battery indicator with a steady tone. I turned off the NAS and turned off the ups and the red light came on. the only way to stop it was to remove the battery interlock. Re connected and restarted the NAS and all is fine without the USB connection. Its an older USB with new batteries so that may be the issue. It's definitely communicating with the NAS because the effect is instant when the usb cable is plugged in. It also doesn't register in the NAS area of the hardware and power section. Has anyone seen this behavior before? Thanks,
Mark

Thanks for the reply. Yes I did try that and just to be sure I just did it again. The Ups is beeping and in battery mode, and the Nas can't see the Ups. I see that some users are SSH ing into the nas and changing some settings that seem to help. I may try that avenue. Thanks again.
Mark

Upvote 0
You're probably correct. I was just trying to make use of this big old thing. I suppose I'll just use it in dumb mode for some protection. The run time is over an hour, so only on an extended outage would it become an issue.
Thanks.

Upvote 0
I really can't do anything once the ups is plugged in. It immediately goes into power failure mode and on battery. It doesn't show up in the hardware ups area. It says no ups detected regardless of how I try and configure it. Strangely, if I unplug the usb cable the ups stays in battery mode until I shut it off and restart it. The Nas is unaffected.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Can you connect the ups to a computer? So that you can get power failure notifications? And then, you can just open the ds finder app on a phone and do a shut down before the battery is depleted.

Upvote 0
I had once had to write out a windows script because the ups I had was a dumb one (usb connection). I had two computers connected to it so usb would only shut one. This script (which was just command lines) and then set as a batch file to run, would trigger when it saw an power event in event manager. There would be a shutdown command sent to the second computer with a countdown. If the power restored, another batch file, would run to stop the shut down event. This probably wont work with a NAS, but atleast you know you can set it up for email alerts.

That was the other thing, I installed a program that would send me out an email alert based on those power events.

Here was the shutdown script (for a computer tho):
runas "/user:computer\username" password: 1234

shutdown /s /m \\hyperv-server /t 120 /d 06:12

Shutdown_abort
shutdown /m \\hyperv-server /a

Upvote 0
recently I splurged with a cyberpower networked ups, for the new server rack I setup. Worth the investment because you can shutdown more than one device.

If an when you buy new, Definitely keep an eye on the compatibility list. I bought a Tripp lite desktop battery back up and saw weird behavior with that.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.