Currently reading
DS920+ Backup Confusion

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Before my RAID on my Mac died, I would perform a scheduled backup every night to an external USB disk. This was easy to setup using Carbon Copy Cloner. It worked flawlessly for years. Now that I replaced the RAID with a DS920+, I'm not sure how to replicate that functionality. There is Hyper Backup and USB Copy but will either or both do what I want? I basically want a clone of the DS920+ on an external drive in case the DS920+ ever completely craps out. I don't want the backup to be a large single backup file because normally you can't copy individual files or folders from those. I want the backup copy to look exactly like and have the same file structure as the DS920+ and perform the backup every day early in the morning. Maybe I'm thick-headed but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do this. TIA

There is a “simple backup” functionality in HB that will do just that.
disadvantage of the simple backup versus full backup is the missing versioning.

nowadays many people use an external server to backup to. these are setup and forget types and add another layer of protection (storage at different location, much better protection against ransomware, versioning) In that arena I can recommend idrive and hidrive next to the well known backblaze, C2 etc.

Upvote 0
This is the method inside HyperBackup that @EAZ1964 is talking about

Screenshot 2021-12-23 at 09.40.25.png

Upvote 0
After looking a bunch of other threads, most of them suggest single version if you want to have the ability to take the backup drive back to a Mac or PC and be able to read the files on it. Is that because the "Local Folder & USB" non-single version does not save the files in a readable format for Mac or PC? Is the versioned backup saved as a proprietary file that you can restore "all or nothing"?

Upvote 0
After looking a bunch of other threads, most of them suggest single version if you want to have the ability to take the backup drive back to a Mac or PC and be able to read the files on it. Is that because the "Local Folder & USB" non-single version does not save the files in a readable format for Mac or PC? Is the versioned backup saved as a proprietary file that you can restore "all or nothing"?
The single file type of backup is “readable”.
The versioned backup is in proprietary format, but you can restore any file or previous versions of the file individually using the backup explorer as well.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.