DS920+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi

Tomorrow I should receive the Ironwolf 110 SSDs for my brand new DS920+. In the specific I will receive 4 SSD of 1.92TB (so a total of 7.68TB).

Which kind of raid do you suggest me to do? Our goals are performances (we are a small business with 7 employees) and a good backup solution (this will be done on external SSD drive attached to the NAS). Would be great if we could have at lest 6TB free on the NAS.

Many thanks in advance!

this is wrong attitude - New NAS then New SSD, then question about what kind of RAID. It’s like building a house from roof.

Right attitude:
1. what data I need for what purposes (size, frequency of usage, ...)
2. what services I need operate based on what goals (cloud, backup of what, share, webserver, heavy dockerized environment, ...)
3. how much storage space I need for what kind of data: Today and for next 3y (or 5) ... based on standard disk lifespan
4. then you can finally draw “the data house”
5. then I can chose data availability mode = RAID version = this isn’t a backup. Just to be sure.
6. finally I can chose disk drives (SSD, HDD) and size follow my previous expectations.
Reason why we don’t have same houses on street. Each of us has different needs.

Or you can create SHR2 and problem is simple solved. But Simple isn’t always good.

this is wrong attitude - New NAS then New SSD, then question about what kind of RAID. It’s like building a house from roof.

Right attitude:
1. what data I need for what purposes (size, frequency of usage, ...)
2. what services I need operate based on what goals (cloud, backup of what, share, webserver, heavy dockerized environment, ...)
3. how much storage space I need for what kind of data: Today and for next 3y (or 5) ... based on standard disk lifespan
4. then you can finally draw “the data house”
5. then I can chose data availability mode = RAID version = this isn’t a backup. Just to be sure.
6. finally I can chose disk drives (SSD, HDD) and size follow my previous expectations.
Reason why we don’t have same houses on street. Each of us has different needs.

Or you can create SHR2 and problem is simple solved. But Simple isn’t always good.
Thanks for the explanation and inputs :)

Just use SHR (Synology Hybrid Raid) . With 4 drives in 1 storage pool this will become equivalent to a RAID5 setup.
I suppose this is the best solution right now.
However I have to read more about it as I am moving the first steps with NAS.

it doesn’t matter
Many thanks. I have a last question: is possible to use SHR if I have 3 SSD and I add another (exactly same model and capacity) to the Storage Pool in the future? Do I need to do a backup of the files then or simply install the new single SSD and add it?

Do I need to do a backup of the files then or simply install the new single SSD and add it?
DS920+ has hot-swap drive bays. You can just plug in the extra drive and it will be recognised, no shutdown/restart needed. Then in Storage Manager you can add the new drive to the existing storage pool and after a while of checking/expanding the new space will be available.

Last edited:
DS920+ has hot-swap drive bays. You can just plug in the extra drive and it will be recognised, no shutdown/restart needed. Then in Storage Manager you can add the new drive to the existing storage pool and after a while of checking/expanding the new space will be available.
Oh wow that's useful so my coworkers can still work, I suppose, right? Thanks for the Info!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.