DS920+ - Could use some help with setup and Installation

Currently reading
DS920+ - Could use some help with setup and Installation

Hello !!

Id like to thank those, who responded to my questions in the previous thread and help me decide on my first NAS.

Ive decided to purchase the Synology DS920+
( id be hoping Synology announce an upgrade in the coming days before i make the dive )

Ive been browsing forums and videos related to NAS, but the lack of familiarity still leaves me with a few unsettled questions.

In regard to the initial setup:

The ISP provided router ( seems quite basic ) has been installed in the living room. My workstation would be in a room adjacent to the living room, separated by a wall.

I am left with 2 options here.

1) I could either install the NAS in the living room and connect it to a good mesh Router, while i access the NAS wirelessly at my workstation. The transfer speed is likely to drop.

OR

2) Would it be possible to run 2 ethernet cables from my NAS and connect it to a Netgear 5 port managed switch and link it with a satellite router If i were to purchase something like the Netgear Orbi 2 pack series ?

The priority would be good accessibility at the workstation, over plex in the living room.

Incase the above mentioned Option 2 be workable, is there any 2 pack mesh router that you might recommend in particular ? I would be looking for something in the starting range of the prosumer series

Thank You

Router-cable-simpe netgearswitch-cable-DS920 (no 2 cables from the nas)

How is your workstation currently connected?
Even the best wireless will never be as good as a cable is it possible to drill a hole to the adjacent room and use an ethernet cable?
Other options may be powerlink adapters.
Closest to a cable is Wifi6, There are some good repeaters available, If you find two of them with an ethernet port, you might have decent connection.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the response.

How is your workstation currently connected?
My workstation is connected wirelessly to the ISP provided router thats installed in the living room. The signal is quite weak. I most often go to the living room with my laptop for any larger file uploads.

is it possible to drill a hole to the adjacent room and use an ethernet cable
Not something my folks would entirely appreciate, but could be considered if this be the best option. The other perhaps being to get the ISP to reroute the wiring into my room and install the internet connection there instead. Would require me to drill the wall again

Other options may be powerlink adapters.

I did consider this option. Power in the fusebox is distributed between 3 MCBs. All the 3 MCBs need to be turned off to cut out all the power in the house. I shall perhaps individually turn off each MCB and check which parts of the house do they cut the power off from. Incase the living room and workstation be attached to the same MCB, this might work. Incase they are not, Im not sure if this is considered as being a part of the same power circuit

Closest to a cable is Wifi6, There are some good repeaters available, If you find two of them with an ethernet port, you might have decent connection.

Any recommendation ?

Upvote 0
Cannot recommed too much here. I do use a Fritz!repeater 6000, and I am impressed by its speed. It is not generally available (globally) and two of these will set you back quite a lot :) There is a new smaller repeater Fritz!repeater 1200AX, two of these might be more affordable, but they miss functionality.
No experience but hear good things about the Netgear AX1800 4-Stream Mesh Extender (EAX20) as well.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.