Currently reading
DS920+ Max Allocatable Size 16TB?

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hey all--I'm a relative rookie at NAS, but hoping someone can help with what is probably a simple problem. I have a DS920+ with 4x WD Red 12TB drives running in SHR. I've just filled to 12.5TB and DSM is warning me that I'm running out of space. Confused, I looked up the volume size and saw the numbers below. My understanding is that a DS920+ should be able to support volumes up to 108TB, so that's not the problem. All four drives are in the volume, so I can't create a new one or a new storage pool. I'm wondering how I can increase the max allocatable size to match the actual allocated size. Thanks for any help!

Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 5.05.25 PM.png

Solution
I'm guessing that you moved these drives from a previous NAS that had a 16 TB volume limit. Doing that, preserves the 16 TB cap for existing volumes. The "solution" is to delete the volume; create a new SHR volume, and restore your packages and files from external backups.

Alternately... you should be able to create a second volume from the available, unused, pool capacity.
All four drives are in the volume, so I can't create a new one or a new storage pool.
That's not entirely accurate. All drives are in the pool, but that in itself does not prevent the creation of additional volumes. If you cannot create a new volume, it may be because your original pool was set up without multi-volume support. Fortunately that is...
Last edited:
I'm guessing that you moved these drives from a previous NAS that had a 16 TB volume limit. Doing that, preserves the 16 TB cap for existing volumes. The "solution" is to delete the volume; create a new SHR volume, and restore your packages and files from external backups.

Alternately... you should be able to create a second volume from the available, unused, pool capacity.
All four drives are in the volume, so I can't create a new one or a new storage pool.
That's not entirely accurate. All drives are in the pool, but that in itself does not prevent the creation of additional volumes. If you cannot create a new volume, it may be because your original pool was set up without multi-volume support. Fortunately that is changeable.

Summary: Two choices.
1. Delete volume and restore backups to new volume
2. Create a second volume from your unused pool capacity.

Upvote 1
Solution
Thank you so much--this is really helpful. I think your diagnosis is accurate, and I super appreciate your explanation of the options.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.