DSM 7.0 DS920 newly added 3rd drive has not expanded the volume !

Currently reading
DSM 7.0 DS920 newly added 3rd drive has not expanded the volume !

NAS
DS920+ DS214Play DS212+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:
I have a DS920+. Installed 2 x 12TB wd’s. Then I decided to add another. All accounted for after 3 days of whatever the system was doing.

The Storage Pool shows 21.8 TB, but Volume 1 (the only volume ) still shows 10.5GB. So now I have 3 bays filled, but still only 10.5GB is showing in the pool as opposed to say 21 TB.

It may be obvious to some, but what is it I’m missing ?

Here you go ....

Attachments

• Syno 2.jpg
    Syno 2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 268
  • Syno.jpg
    Syno.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 271
Upvote 0
Have you done this:

1. Go to the Volume page and select the volume you want to expand.
    Note: You can add drives to the corresponding storage pool to expand the storage pool capacity first if needed. Refer to Add Drives to Expand the Storage Pool Capacity for details.
  2. Click Configure from the Action drop-down menu.
  3. Go to the General tab and enter the new volume size in the Modify allocated size (GB) field, or click the Max button to automatically fill in the maximum allocatable size.
  4. Click OK to finish.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Hi, I'm not sure now .... I think I just added a 12TB drive and clicked on whatever prompts came up !

I did this on the basis that Synology's own help files state " Single-volume storage pool: For a storage pool that supports a single volume, the volume size will be expanded automatically once the storage pool capacity has been expanded. "

Your reply ...... says " 1. Go to the Volume page "
I assume that this is in In the storage manager. In my case, there is no Action drop down menu, ( see screen shot ) so I can't get past item 1) of your suggestion.

So I'm at a loss, other than to reset the 3 drive setup and start again from scratch.
-- post merged: --

Did you expand the volume? The pool shows the correct size. If your pool was set up to accommodate multiple volumes, volume expansion is not automatic.
" Did I expand the volume ... " Presumably not. I simply added a 3rd drive, and followed the prompts, on the basis that Synology's own help files state " Single-volume storage pool: For a storage pool that supports a single volume, the volume size will be expanded automatically once the storage pool capacity has been expanded. "

So I've no idea if my "pool was set up to accommodate multiple volumes," How could I check this ?

Attachments

• Syno - volume menu.jpg
    Syno - volume menu.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 0
A bit of accommodation is needed between us when discussing common features in DSM 6 and 7 but the presentation may have changed.

In this case Storage Manager has had a reworking in DSM 7 to represent storage as Storage Pools that contain Volumes. In DSM 6 it's easy to miss implicit top-down Volume/ Storage Pool / HDD relationship that it uses.

Also. Action button is gone and a '...' button on each storage pool and volume is now the way to access their specific settings.

Upvote 0
Look for the ellipsis button "..." at the far right. You cut this off in your screenshot.

View attachment 3905

Also, most configuration pages have a View attachment 3906on the top right which take you to the built-in help.
Yo Fred

That's it. It had to be somewhere.
You think they'd make the . . . a bit harder to see !!

The Volume is now expanding nicely ( a bit like thew universe )
-- post merged: --

Thank you to fredbert, DaVoodoo & EAZ1964 for your help.

We got there in the end .........:)

fredbert

Attachments

• Syno - Expand volume 01 .jpg
    Syno - Expand volume 01 .jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 191
Upvote 0
I have a similar problem ... I have added discs, a storage pool of 27 TV but a Volume of 15 TB and it's not automatically expanding, and there is no option like pictured here to expand ... ???

Upvote 0
I have a similar problem ... I have added discs, a storage pool of 27 TV but a Volume of 15 TB and it's not automatically expanding, and there is no option like pictured here to expand ... ???
Potential 32bit DSM 16TB limit

Upvote 0
It's a 418Play, so Synology suggest it has a 108 TB limit in "What is the maximum single volume size of my Synology NAS?"
True but it depends how "old" the DSM was that was on that NAS. Did you migrate to that 418 from an older model/DSM OS?

Upvote 0
It was from one 418Play to another. No mention I can see in Storage Manager of an option on the pool for multiple volumes or for manual expansion ... so I guess not?
That DSM install (initial), can you remember what version did you install and when? If it’s Dsm 5 or something before that it could be the problem of 32bit

Upvote 0
It was the very latest/last DSM 6, it's now the new 7.
Can't find options anywhere ... I'm sure you're right, because it was Migrated rather than Hyper'd or RSync'd it's probably a case of copy (laboriously) and then delete and create anew ...

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.