DS920+ status light orange & beeping, cannot connect to DSM but can connect through mapped drive

Currently reading
DS920+ status light orange & beeping, cannot connect to DSM but can connect through mapped drive

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
While reaching behind my DS920+ and DX517 I bumped the DX517 power cord and the unit shut off. I could not connect to the NAS because all 9 drives are one volume. Received "catastrophic error" message in Assistant. Start/Stop button on DS920+ would not shut off device so I unplugged it. Then plugged in both devices and turned them on. They booted and all drive lights came on. DS920+ status light is orange and unit is beeping. I cannot connect via QuickConnect because during authentication it says message is being sent to my mobile device, but no message is received. It wants me to select one of three 2-digit numbers but it does not arrive. Instead, the Secure Signin app only shows the 6-digit number. The account page of the app says "session expired. Please tap to sign in." After multiple attempts I now get message "The account or password is invalid." This happens on my phone and both laptops.

Assistant (connecting over house wireless) says unit is ready, but I cannot connect to DSM.

I can connect to the NAS from a laptop connected to LAN port 2 using the mapped drives. All files seem to be present and readable but are Read Only, so I cannot add files. My problems remain the status light, the beeping, and inability to connect through QuickConnect or mapped drives unless connected to the LAN 2 port. Therefore, I cannot get into DSM to get to Storage Manager, even though I can see my files.

Internet in the house is working. I checked the Ethernet cable for a solid connection on both ends (but haven't replaced it yet).

I have checked the Synology website and QuickConnect service is working.

I am a new NAS owner and Google searches and Forum searches have not helped. Can you please advise? Thanks.

While reaching behind my DS920+ and DX517 I bumped the DX517 power cord and the unit shut off. I could not connect to the NAS because all 9 drives are one volume. Received "catastrophic error" message in Assistant.
This sounds fatal. It is not recommended to span pools across hardware. Yours is a textbook case.

I would open a support request with Synology. They may have some secret CLI sauce that can help you recover.

Otherwise, this may be a do over from backups.

Hi Marco, thanks very much. That worked, and got me in. I reset the password and am now backing up my data to an external HDD. The Synology instructions say now to contact support to "rescue" my data. So I am submitting a ticket.

Telos, thanks. I have heard one should not span volumes onto an expansion unit. The SATA cable is firmly screwed in so it did not come off; just the power cord.

I am submitting a support ticket to see what they can do for me.

Thanks, guys.

I cannot connect via QuickConnect because during authentication it says message is being sent to my mobile device, but no message is received. It wants me to select one of three 2-digit numbers but it does not arrive. Instead, the Secure Signin app only shows the 6-digit number.

I think there’s a link on the bottom that would have said sign in using another method. From there you could’ve have chosen to use the TOTP codes (6 digit codes)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.