DSM 7.0 DS920+ upgrade to larger drives

NAS
DS920+ DS214Play DS212+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I currently have a DS920+ populated with 4x 8TB wd Reds. Capacity is up to 80% so i soon need to increase the disc sizes to say 14Tbs.

Is it safe to remove 1x 8tb disc and replace it with the larger disc, then repeat this process 3 more times ?

I also have access to another DS920+ which I could use. I'd be able to populate that with 4x 14tb new drives then sync it or copy the entire 16tbs of data from the first DS920+ I assume that this is a better option.

Finally, what is the best synology app to use, in order to duplicate all the data safely from the smaller capacity unit to the larger capacity unit ?

Is it safe to remove 1x 8tb disc and replace it with the larger disc, then repeat this process 3 more times ?
yes

I assume that this is a better option
Better in terms of safer, yes but not mandatory

Finally, what is the best synology app to use, in order to duplicate all the data safely from the smaller capacity unit to the larger capacity unit ?
You could use Snapshot replication app. It will replicate the data and once it is completed, you can terminate replication and on the target device make the data from read-only to writable format.

Another option would be to use Hyper Backup app with a single-file rsync option. It will copy the data in its file/folder format.

In any case, it depends on your needs. If you are replicating root shared folders, go with Snapshot, if you are copying over parts of certain folders, HB might be enough.

Upvote 0
yes

Better in terms of safer, yes but not mandatory

You could use Snapshot replication app. It will replicate the data and once it is completed, you can terminate replication and on the target device make the data from read-only to writable format.

Another option would be to use Hyper Backup app with a single-file rsync option. It will copy the data in its file/folder format.

In any case, it depends on your needs. If you are replicating root shared folders, go with Snapshot, if you are copying over parts of certain folders, HB might be enough.
Thank you for the help

Upvote 0
So is there a way to use a Synology programme other than HB to create an identical / Windows readable copy ?
You can use HyperBackup as well, just use the single file copy option. That will back up the data in a file/folder format and will not use the proprietary "database" format with HBK extension.

Use the selected option in the image below.

Screenshot 2021-12-13 at 20.03.01.png

To make that work, you will need to configure rsync option on your destination NAS inside Control Panel > File Services > rsync (tab). Enable the service and use the Edit rsync account to delegate your destination DSM account that you will enter on the source side while inside the wizard.

With that all in place you will be able to use the highlighted feature and backup using HB while keeping data in a "pure" file/folder original structure.

Truth be told the destination side will have several additional folders, but inside those, you will have your original folder structure.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.