Currently reading
DS920+ UPS Suggestions Needed

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I just bought a brand new DS920+ which I like alot. Anyway, my better judgement is telling me to get a dedicated UPS to protect the device. The NAS is connected to an Ethernet switch, which is connected to a Nest Wifi Router, which is connected directly to a Version FiOS ONT. I'm assuming that the WiFi router and switch should be also be connected to the UPS. All three devices are already plugged into a surge protector.

My problem is out figuring out which UPS I should get. I just ordered a dirt cheap refurbished Cyberpower 1350VA smart UPS off eBay for temporary use until I figure out what my best option would be. What must have specs should I look for in a UPS for my use case? What are the pros and cons of not having a smart UPS? Any suggestions and/or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

EATON Ellipse 800 or similar capacity will be more than enough to power all of that. In terms of brands, APC, and Cyberpower, will all do the job.

Smart or dumb will depend on the use case, but in the scenario best to have a dumb one than nothing at all.

I have this one for 2 NAS devices...

EATON Ellipse 800 or similar capacity will be more than enough to power all of that. In terms of brands, APC, and Cyberpower, will all do the job.

Smart or dumb will depend on the use case, but in the scenario best to have a dumb one than nothing at all.
Thanks for the feedback.

I bought the used UPS because I agree that something is better than nothing -- not because of the specs. I bought it because it seemed decent enough and was only $40.

I'm not sure if I should get a different smart UPS because I'm not familiar with them. In general, what are the benefits of a smart UPS for a NAS?

for a single one, probably nothing. Look at the "smart" features and decide if you need any of those in your setup.
Thanks for the tip. A smart UPS is overkill for my needs. I'm glad I didn't spend a lot of money on one

Thanks for the feedback.

I bought the used UPS because I agree that something is better than nothing -- not because of the specs. I bought it because it seemed decent enough and was only $40.

I'm not sure if I should get a different smart UPS because I'm not familiar with them. In general, what are the benefits of a smart UPS for a NAS?
After much deliberation, I decided to go with the CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS System, 1500VA/1000W, 12 Outlets, AVR, Mini Tower https://a.co/d/ihzp98X. I chose this model because it's a hybrid dumb/smart UPS. An optional expansion card converts it from a dumb UPS into a smart UPS. It also has some nice bells & whistles like: USB charging ports, surge suppression, Ethernet line protection, and support for network UPS tools. It's a bit pricey for a dumb UPS. However, I plan to use it indefinitely. I hope it's the last UPS that I'll ever need.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.