1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Last edited:
Hi,

I currently have a DS918+ and it seems to be dying. It logs that someone pressed the reset button, reenables the Admin account and resets the Admin password once a day or so. I have disassembled it and cleaned as best I could but the problem still persists. It is almost 4 years old so out of warranty. So I am thinking about just replacing it.

The unit is primarily used to store files and system backups for our 2-person business. We have about 12 TB on the DS918+. We do not have a need for transcoding or anything like that, but we do want good performance when we write or read files. The 920+ seems a bit overkill for this, but it is only $100 or so more and this is a business expense. Any thoughts?

A second question is where can I buy other of these units? Every place seems to be out of the 920+.

Jerry

Thanks for the replies. I am on the West Coast of the US. If anyone has any ideas where I can buy a 920+ please let me know.

Amazon seems to have them - not an option for you?
1643382920483.png

Thanks. Since Amazon did not list a price at the top I did not scroll down to see the alternative sellers on the bottom. Ordered!!!

BTW, can I just move my drives from the 918+ to the 920+. And is the 4GB additional memory the same between the 918 and 920?

You should be able to do an HDD migration, yes. Just check the compatibility document on the Synology site, but I can't imagine DS918+ to DS920+ not being supported, since the 920 is the successor to the 918.

I don't know the config of the 918 so someone else smarter will need to answer if the memory is the same between the two.

This is an opportunity for you to upgrade the memory in the DS918+ and/or the DS920+. If they are anything like the DS218+ and DS220+ that I have, it's a simple addition of a memory SODIMM that you should be able to find more information about here on this site.

The DS918+ and DS920+ are very similar and the main thing you are getting is the updated quad-core CPU:
  • DS918+ ... Intel Celeron J3455 quad-core 1.5 GHz, burst up to 2.3 GHz
  • DS920+ ... Intel Celeron J4125 quad-core 2.0 GHz, burst up to 2.7 GHz
You will be able to take the drives out and into the new NAS.

The RAM spec between the two NAS is different so you have to source a compatible module:
Look for part D4NESO-2666-4G. The DS918+ used DDR3L SODIMM.

While Synology say you must use their modules, there is a lot of info available about reputable third party modules.

The DS918+ and DS920+ are very similar and the main thing you are getting is the updated quad-core CPU:
  • DS918+ ... Intel Celeron J3455 quad-core 1.5 GHz, burst up to 2.3 GHz
  • DS920+ ... Intel Celeron J4125 quad-core 2.0 GHz, burst up to 2.7 GHz
You will be able to take the drives out and into the new NAS.

The RAM spec between the two NAS is different so you have to source a compatible module:
Look for part D4NESO-2666-4G. The DS918+ used DDR3L SODIMM.
Thanks. I found out about the memory change after reading some spec sheets. I ordered the DD4 expansion memory. Amazon must have them at the local depot. Delivery of memory is by this evening!

After the migration, before you bin the DS918+ I would be inclined to rebuild it and see if it still exhibits the erratic behaviour. If you have any spare HDD that would be enough to test. I'm a hoarder by nature and hate to chuck out something that could be used, even as a backups destination server.

Also, take a full backup before proceeding with the migration ... I assume you already have backup covered anyway, it being a business resource n'all.

Same...I've got my old DS212 that I just "retired" and am looking for ways to put it to use on less critical tasks (redundant backups, maybe set it up for my one of son's after he finishes moving into his new place) rather than recylcling it.

Last edited:
After the migration, before you bin the DS918+ I would be inclined to rebuild it and see if it still exhibits the erratic behaviour. If you have any spare HDD that would be enough to test. I'm a hoarder by nature and hate to chuck out something that could be used, even as a backups destination server.

Also, take a full backup before proceeding with the migration ... I assume you already have backup covered anyway, it being a business resource n'all.
Not sure what you mean by a rebuild. I did just recreate the disk volume because of the error document in this thread, DS 918+ Status light blinking green - lost

I will perform a local backup to ensure we have this week's new content. The rest is on a local backup drive and/or up on Amazon Glacier storage.

After I get the DS920 working I will probably do a dive deeper into the DS918's chassis. I want to see if I can find the ultimate cause of the issue, perhaps a short in the reset switch. But, I hope this is not some sort of hack since pressing the reset button does have some very insecure results with the Admin account being enabled with a default password. Ultimately I would like to see about replacing the reset button switch.

And I understand about the chucking thing out. But at some point I think I need to get over the hoarder status. Looking around my office I see the following dead (or soon to be dead) NASes: ReadyNas 4 Bay, Netgear 4 Bay, Dlink 2 Bay, and now the DS918 4 Bay.

Not sure what you mean by a rebuild.
I meant ...
After I get the DS920 working I will probably do a dive deeper into the DS918's chassis.
And start with a blank disk and initialise the NAS from the beginning. Probably is an H/W issue but worth a shot. But if you already did that then ... it's looking like Bricksville.

Last edited:
I meant ...

And start with a blank disk and initialise the NAS from the beginning. Probably is an H/W issue but worth a shot. But if you already did that then ... it's looking like Bricksville.
OK. That was kind of my plan. And once I have the DS918 up I will see what is going on with the resets.

Dlink 2 Bay
Oh man, the D-Link DNS 323 was my first "real" NAS. I kept it around for a couple years meaning to put it back to use and then my son recycled it at one of those HW recycling programs when I was away on a trip and my wife asked him to clean out the garage. So sad, I miss the little bugger.

Just thought I would close this out.

I contacted Synology on this and this reset is something your unit should not be doing. And then asked when I bought the unit and could I send the receipt. So I did that. The unit was 6+ months past the warranty period. But, they said "Close enough".

They sent me a replacement unit. I move the disks over and when I booted the machine it went to migrating status and migrated to the replacement unit. So we are back up and operational.

Also, Amazon gave us a full refund on the DS920+ we bought. Love that place!

Thanks to everyone for your help. And thanks to Synology for cutting us some leeway on the warranty!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.