DS923+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi,

Anyone tried a non Synology M.2 NVMe SSD? I want to add to use as storage pool.

Can add that I added a KSM26SED8/16HD Kingston 16GB module to my NAS and it works, the included 4GB module is still installed resulting in 20GB total RAM.

Hi,

Can add that I added a KSM26SED8/16HD Kingston 16GB module to my NAS and it works, the included 4GB module is still installed resulting in 20GB total RAM.
I have tested a few different vendors and types and only SVN3000 or 3100 from Syno atm work. All will works as cache, but as a usable storage pool, its Syno only.

Really hope they will fix this silly limitation soon, their prices for their hardware is just silly. I could probably get a few TB's on another NVMe brand for the same price as their 800GB NVMe..

I wonder if it might be down to an entry in a setting file rather than genuine incompatibility with the hardware?

I ask that in view of this thread whereby you can turn off memory warnings by editing the JSON file.

What do you reckon?

I wonder if it might be down to an entry in a setting file rather than genuine incompatibility with the hardware?

I ask that in view of this thread whereby you can turn off memory warnings by editing the JSON file.

What do you reckon?
The script I linked for you on the other thread, soon will add support for m2 storage pools on DSM 7.2

Really hope they will fix this silly limitation soon, their prices for their hardware is just silly. I could probably get a few TB's on another NVMe brand for the same price as their 800GB NVMe..
True. Not seeing this happening at all from Syno side. All you can do is use 3rd party hacks to get around this but as always its another can of worms altogether.

True. Not seeing this happening at all from Syno side. All you can do is use 3rd party hacks to get around this but as always its another can of worms altogether.
I've never played around with these settings files before. What are the implications of editing them so that you can use other brands of memory and SSDs?

Hi,

I've used Intel 660p, 760p (and the 7600 equivalent), Samsung PM981, and currently using Samsung 970 EVO Plus for both RW caching and storage volumes in DS918+, DS920+, and current DS720+, DS1522+ and DS1621+ units without issue, just nag prompts... ;)

Of course, YMMV, have a backup strategy in place and tested, consider your production data and support needs, check SSD health regularly, use a UPS on your NAS, etc.

I've used Intel 660p, 760p (and the 7600 equivalent), Samsung PM981, and currently using Samsung 970 EVO Plus for both RW caching and storage volumes in DS918+, DS920+, and current DS720+, DS1522+ and DS1621+ units without issue, just nag prompts... ;)

Of course, YMMV, have a backup strategy in place and tested, consider your production data and support needs, check SSD health regularly, use a UPS on your NAS, etc.
Presumably there's a general limit to the spec of the NVMe SSD that you actually need (while noting your point on an individual's own needs)?

For example, it looks like the Samsung 970 PRO is up to 3,500 MB/s read and 2,700 MB/s write, the 980 PRO is up to 7,000 MB/s read and 5,100 MB/s write, and the 990 PRO is up to 7,450 MB/s read and 6,900 MB/s write.

That feels like getting into overkill territory for a Synology NAS that you are running at home?

I think m2 nvme slots in Synology DS systems are gen3, so actually anything over Samsung 970 model would be an overkill to buy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.