Currently reading
DS923+ standard usb 3.1 network adapter or Synology e10g22-t1-mini

NAS
DS923+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I would like to connect my mac mini with a 10GBE port directly to a DS923 to get a higher speed for direct photo and video editing. The nas is equipped with the standard 4GB memory and nothing else.

I see that there are 2 solutions for this, including an expensive Synology E10G22-T1-Mini 10GbE Expansion Adapter or cheaper 2.5GBE network adapter. I assume that with my current configuration with the expensive Synology E10G22-T1 I will not achieve higher speeds and a 2.5GBE network adapter will suffice or is the purchase of the 10GBE E10G22-T1 still recommended?

Last edited:
Way back when, at TV Station, Macs in Graphics Dept used Fibre to connect to remote storage. This pre-dates 10GB, so I’m hoping someone in know will post along with types of footage tested as reference. I’d be wary of anything without huge headroom therefore.

Here at home, for me: local SSD Raid 0 was the best cost effective solution for temporary: Fast, wild footage storage for edit, and GB NAS Becomes long term ISO or finished project storage only, where blazing speed is not needed. That workflow has been sufficient for years.

video copied from cards to Raid0. Edit off of Raid0. Finished edit archived to NAS, and also remains on edit system until client approval. On approval, recycle cards, and deliver finished project. Lastly, delete Raid0 files, prepare for next project.
Rinse & repeat😄!

I assume that with my current configuration with the expensive Synology E10G22-T1 I will not achieve higher speeds and a 2.5GBE network adapter will suffice or is the purchase of the 10GBE E10G22-T1 still recommended?
Welcome to the forum!

I was in a position to test the 923 with a 10G card and I can say that editing off a NAS was more than possible. Transfer speeds were from 800MB-1GB/s. While the price tag is there, and it's not cheap, this 10G card will be compatible with other models (if needed), as well as work with 2.5, 5, or 10G speeds if connected to a device with those NIC speeds.

In terms of compatibility, it would be a wiser choice than a USB adapter, but that is something for you to decide.

DS723 speed tests - Synology DS723+ review
DS923 speed tests - Synology DS923+ review

what resolution and how many layers did you test?
Say a 3 layer DVE EFFECT with title over background at 4 or 8K footage?
Simple A B edit is insufficient to say “Acceptable”.

Though I very much agree USB Adaptor is insufficient to edit from, it, like 2x GB ethernets in “7.2 parallel”, would increase existing copying.

what resolution and how many layers did you test?
Say a 3 layer DVE EFFECT with title over background at 4 or 8K footage?
Simple A B edit is insufficient to say “Acceptable”.
In one testing there were, concurrent 4K videos playing (two) with some light on-the-fly effects.

Last edited:
Beat on it harder, so you know where the limitation exists before say “Acceptable”. Just because it does 3 layers, doesn’t mean editors will figure out a way to need 5 or 6 layers of dissimilar format video! Drive bandwidth, network bandwidth (at both ends Server and Efitor, and edit system all are effected). Any failure anywhere… Is not acceptable in video editing! You’ve never lived until you get called into an edit to find the editor has discovered a way of exceeding the available bandwidth of the system!! (And they are looking at You for direction!)
That’s why I started using local SSD Raid0’s…. To get around the variables of “The Network” when multiple simultaneous layers of video are concerned. Eliminating IO Issues eliminates bottlenecks!
Nothing worse than spending ‘big bucks’ and falling ‘just short’ of success!
I’ve one system that, even with local SSD Raid0, I cannot trust 4K editing on it. I suspect something isn’t fast enough to transfer multiple 4K data streams between CPU & GPU unused Cuda Processors, on GPU, for video number crunching and simultaneously also output video to display and disk system. Somewhere motherboard or GPU, is dropping frames randomly. (I think Raid is OK) So, as much as I’d like to, and all the $$ invested, I can’t trust that system to be reliable for 4K.
Insane amounts of headroom—Everywhere—Is the only answer. And 8K=Out of the question!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.