DS923+ vs DS1522+ Quietness

Currently reading
DS923+ vs DS1522+ Quietness

NAS
DS1522+, E10G22-T1-Mini RJ45 10G Ethernet Module
Hi, I know one has four bays and the other has five. If we put the same number (one to four) and type of HDDs in both NAS, which is quieter in real life? I may go all SSD or a combination of SSD and HDD.

Last edited:
That's covered in the unit's specs.

I have read that. They did not say how they measured it. One could be with all five bays occupied and the other could be with all four bays occupied. So the noise level values on the specs are meaningless. I am asking noise level in practice rather than on paper. I don't believe they are the same.

Last edited:
They did not say how they measured it
Checked one of those units and found...

S5fXpvh.png

I am asking noise level in practice rather than on paper.
That didn't seem like "paper" to me.

This will differ markedly depending on the drives you select. Good luck.

Last edited:
If the drive caddy’s are anything like 718+ or 720+ ….. you can do the “Velcro trick” on drives and feet to cushion the noise. I used 3/4” fuzzy side of Velcro dots: 1 each on bottom of metal drive tray where it will contact side of drive and also NAS feet, and there was significant audible reduction. I’m using 7200 rpm Ironwolf and Barracuda drives.

Neither will be silent. When fitted out with the same drives then they will be around as noisy as each other: same dual fan and metal internal frames. Maybe the 5 bay will be a little more, but they both would still be too noisy if you planned to put them on your bedside table.

Bigger HDD ‘clack’ more than smaller. So if you want quiet then go for SSD and set the fans to low speed.

What are you planning to use it for and where are you thinking to put it?

I have the DS920+ with 4/8TB WD 7200rpm HDDs. It's about 6ft away from me and if there is anything at all going on in the room, I don't hear it.

This is the living room so the TV is normally on and there is no distracting noise at all.

The rubberized drive mounts seem to be quite effective.

Very subjective and it also depends on the disk brands and capacities/technologies used.

If you’re going in this way then I’m guessing your ear will be “looking” for the noise and no matter what, you’ll hear it.
If you have the space, try to plan a remote location within the house/apartment so not to lose your mind over this.

Just a friendly advice from someone who dealt with the “CFO” regarding this on multiple occasions. My CFO commented what drives her nuts more than the noise is the randomness of the noise. Her brain cannot “follow” and tune it out. I kind of understand that too 🤣

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.