DSM 6.2.2.-24922 Update 2 is Up

Currently reading
DSM 6.2.2.-24922 Update 2 is Up

Finally, finally! Updated my main NAS and so far haven't noticed a problem. The APC UPS is connected as a network UPS from the backup NAS.

And finally updated Mail Server to latest patch. This needed timing so I could also login and re-insert the mods to the config files for the catch-all email account.

Hi Guys, came across this forum and thought I would share my experience so far with Update 2. (not good)

I have a ds916+ for reference. I have 3 issues all related to networking. I logged a ticket with the below feedback for sinology so hopefully I will get a response soon

--------------
I have recently updated to DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 2
I have 3 issues since this update:
Issue 1: SNMP
i run PRTG inside virtual machine manager on a windows 7 environment. Since doing this update i have been unable to get SNMP stats out of the Synology which had previously been monitored without isssue. Has this update affected the SNMP daemon in any way causing it to now not respond correctly?

Issue 2:
I ran pfsense in my virtual machine manager to be a virtual firewall. This had been working fine up until the update. What appears now to be an issue with openVswitch (ovs nics) inside the virtual machine has manifest to not being able to do particular functions inside the network that requires internet traffic (such as wget). When doing wget this never created the session.

I ended up running opnsense, which has a different type of support over pfsense for ovs nics and this is working better -but not completely.
Did update 2 change a level of support or function with OpenVswitch?

Issue 3:
I can no longer use Synology External Access. the connection is never made. This has also been a result of Update 2, where all services prior were working correctly.

Summary:
I believe that there has been a fundamental change with ovs and the network stack in this release. I would like to downgrade or get an early release of the fix. All my symptons are related to networking, and before an assumption is made of my internal network being at fault, all other devices in my network are working fine and the above issues are singularly related to the synology. these issues, while im sure are unexpected, are as a result of the latest update DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 2.

Additionally:
when creating log files below for analysis, i went to "Support centre" and i got prompted that there is a network issue. I am currently writting this to you on the same network. I have full network connection. Again, a network issue on the synology. As part of this log file, i have included virtual machine manager logs for your reference.
------------------

came across this forum and thought I would share my experience so far with Update 2
Welcome to the forum and thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Seeing that most of the guys here updated without any problems, I was contemplating it. However, now that you’ve posted this, I’d rather not at this time as I’m traveling soon.

Thanks - mine is very much surrounding the network stack and I may have just been super unlucky or something. If the overwhelming amount of guys were successful then I suggest you will be too - unless you have similar services as what I do which are not worth the risk of upsetting.

This is why I think full change logs are critically important to be accurate and released. If there was something changed with the network stack or some other area, users that are using those services would have better information whether to upgrade. I don’t use the above services that @davereid mentions, but perhaps a more detailed change log could have helped determine whether to upgrade or wait. Let us know what Synology comes back with.

This is why I think full change logs are critically important to be accurate and released. If there was something changed with the network stack or some other area, users that are using those services would have better information whether to upgrade. I don’t use the above services that @davereid mentions, but perhaps a more detailed change log could have helped determine whether to upgrade or wait. Let us know what Synology comes back with.
Let them first fix the multiple releases with the same version number @Gerard. You might be asking for too much :D

just to close the loop on my issue and the synology support process.
1: synology were very good in their communication and attention of the issue.
2: the issue is now worked around (not resolved).

I use ZeroTier P2P vpn. If i use the ZT client on either the synology directly, or within my opnsense firewall/gateway as a plugin, the issues i have occur. Immediately after disconnecting the vpn (on either platform) restores functionality.

Ultimately i can not use ZT now on my gateway or on my NAS and have to revert to a traditional VPN solution for remote access, until this is resolved.

There is, without a doubt, a chance to the openvswitch configuration as part of Update2. I have had the same environment running for months without issue. What is disappointing is the changelog does not detail any networking changes at all. If the changelog did detail the changes, i could accept that its a temporary (or permanent) change to my setup.

Regarding Synology, i have requested that they follow it up internally (we will see what that outcome is) however as an attempt to fix the issue, they wanted to remote control my device after uploading logs and were able to give multiple times to do the work. I dont have any issue with the way they responded to the support request. I hope that any action that they may have eventually taken, would be just as good. But i guess i will have to wait till next time i have to engage with them :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.