DSM 6.2.4-2556 Now Stable Enough To Upgrade From 6.2.3?

Currently reading
DSM 6.2.4-2556 Now Stable Enough To Upgrade From 6.2.3?

NAS
DS220+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Currently running a DS220+ (2X4TB BTRFS/SHR) on DSM 6.2.3-25426 Rel.3 in a small home environment (two users, no external access), as a file and media (Photostation and Plex) server, on a Windows-based network (Ethernet).

Being a cautious sort of chap (and not being an ‘early-adopter’ fan of OS upgrades!), I never have auto-update switched on. That being the case, I avoided some of the early ‘kinks’ that seemed to arrive with DSM 6.2.4 (albeit, most of them seemed to apply to more sophisticated Synology environments than mine).

6.2.4 has now been around for a while and there seem to have been at least a coupe of maintenance releases. So is the general feeling that now would be an appropriate/OK time to upgrade my 220+, with its [fairly basic] setup, to 6.2.4? However, if there are still valid reasons for avoiding the upgrade, can people enlighten me as to what they might be (and gawd help all of us when DSM7 goes on general release!)

All comments/thoughts gratefully received. Thank you

Is your disk array formatted BTFRS? The 220+ appears not to be impacted by this upgrade so you should be ok, but I would definitely have an external backup before you apply it.

Your caution is warranted - DSM upgrades are not as smooth as they used to be, I have not been bit by upgrading my two NAS models but I have turned auto update off on my primary NAS until I see if things smooth out. My backup is running Beta of DSM 7.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Given issues I was having with Docker, I said to myself, sure... what else could go wrong... and then updated to 6.2.4. Now to figure out how to permanently silence the "disable admin" warning, lol.

Upvote 0
I have enabled and disabled the admin account multiple times, and every time I brought it back I got the warning.
But you can disable the warning by editing:
/usr/syno/synoman/webman/modules/DisableAdminNotification/config
Set "autolaunch" in that config file to "false". Done.

Upvote 0
I have enabled and disabled the admin account multiple times, and every time I brought it back I got the warning.
But you can disable the warning by editing:
/usr/syno/synoman/webman/modules/DisableAdminNotification/config
Set "autolaunch" in that config file to "false". Done.
Thanks for this tip....works like a champ. No more nag messages.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
I have 2x on6.2.3, and 1 on 6.2.4
Bandwidth limitations. Cameras, large directory listings QC Logins slower in 6.2.4 compared to 6.2.3.
It might be more secure, but it is certainly slower to move large amounts of data
Clarification:
If you were heavily taxing the CPU&RAM in 6.2.3, when you update to 6.2.4, those same operations do not work as solid as with 6.2.3. Cameras ftp pix might be solid, but video made from stream will pause, and have green and black lines in them..
Work around for this (since you cannot Go Back) is: decrease bandwidth, frames per second, or turn off other less critical operations you used in 6.2.3 to get what you must have operational in 6.2.4 again. The only reasoning I can account for this happening is a reduction in workload by 6.2.4.
I guess that’s what I get by pushing the envelope. !!
I have communicated with others who upgraded with light loading, and they did not see this, but those with heavy loading of operations in 6.2.3, saw a decrease in smooth operations in 6.2.4. (4 people have seen this—all heavily loaded systems).
I cannot guess how much was dialed back, but Something changed!
I decreased by 2/3 the camera bandwidth, and went from 30fps to 15, and changed from ‘high’ to ‘low’ quality on the camera settings that send data to NAS, and now camera ftp & video from stream are operational, but at far less image quality. I also see a slower login and large GB directory listing time.
$.02

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.