DSM 6: which anniversary to celebrate?

Currently reading
DSM 6: which anniversary to celebrate?

So which of them should we be getting out the bunting and having a street party? 🥳👯‍♂️🥳👯‍♀️

• DSM 6 [5 years]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DSM 6.2 [ 3 years]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both: I can't believe they are so old!

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters
It's the same habit with SRM... They introduced the RT1900ac back in 2015 an now we are using SRM 1.2
I'm not sure we'll ever see SRM 1.3, let alone 2.0
My OPNsense (which runs as a playground in a VM on my DSM) is regularly patched and even gets new features from time to time.
😤

Last edited:
Maybe I should try the beta, just to show that I am still willing.
I'm still resisting installing it even on a VM.
Whenever I have the urge I just go to the demo site and play with it for a while 🙂
-- post merged: --

To put it in some context: DSM 5 lasted under two years before DSM 6 replaced it.
I remember reading about all the resistance of moving from DSM 5 to DSM 6 when I got my first Synology NAS (the 216+II). At that time DSM 6 was just released. Of course I was oblivious to any problems that came with the new version, and I didn’t understand most of it when I was starting. But I should say that DSM 6.0.2 (not sure, but I think I started with that) was fine. However, looking back I think I didn’t face any problems because a lot of things were not enabled. It was two disks in a RAID 5 and not much more 🙂

Presumably there are no major downsides from installing DSM7 bare metal on a test machine, other than losing the ability to roll-back?

I've got an RS217 that I can throw an old SSD into it and load the beta. Either that or a should really sell it to gain the U-space.

Presumably there are no major downsides from installing DSM7 bare metal on a test machine, other than losing the ability to roll-back?
This was exactly my thought; I installed DSM7 beta on my old DS215j. I'd say that DSM web portal seems a little snappier but it really isn't doing much.

I could live with a glitchy old NAS as it was collecting dust. Now it's running as my Macs' Time Machine server. Though I've never relied 100% on TM I still used it, because 'why not'.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.