Currently reading
Drive DSM 7.0 and Synology Drive (mobile) - sync

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I am currently using Synology Drive on Android to browse files and DS Cloud to sync my phone files with the server.
Synology about this - What are the feature differences between Synology Drive and Cloud Station

Does the new DSM7.0 with mobile version of Synology Drive allow synchronization -> syncing from device to server?
Or still I need stay with DSM 6.x to sync files from phone to server?

Once you've upgraded to Synology Drive Service 3.0 (and higher) then none of the Cloud Station / DS cloud clients will work with it. So far I haven't seen an iOS Drive v3 app, it's still at v2.x.x.

So Drive clients will behave as they do today but you'll lose features unique to DS cloud. Which I guess means you lose having a selected NAS folder sync'ed to the phone for offline access.

Which I guess means you lose having a selected NAS folder sync'ed to the phone for offline access
Hmm, I understood the question from the perspective of the Drive client and devices syncing using that app. Maybe I missunderstood.

I used to have DS cloud on iOS to sync a folder to my phone so that it's contents are available offline. AFAIK the iOS Drive client doesn't do this for a folder but you can select file-by-file to have offline copies that are kept in-sync.

Since Synology announced that Drive Server 3.0 wasn't going to be compatible with DS cloud I started to look for an alternative solution. Ended up paying for the app iOS FileBrowser Pro.

I got an official reply from Synology Support. They said I could use WebDAV for phone-to-server synchronization for now.

WebDAV is a file sharing mechanism, it's not a client application that performs data sync between the device and NAS. They could easily have said to use SFTP too.

Did they give any ideas as to which applications on your Android device that provides the data sync using WebDAV as a transfer mechanism?

synology used to be a turn key solution,
now it gets more complicated
and add to this the absence of a Linux client

Now setting up a nextcloud server with docker compose or with a couple of clicks (e.g in a TrueNAS) seems way too easier

Hi! Does FileBrowser Pro support offline editting?
I just tested on a text file that has been synced to FB Pro on the iPhone. Added a new line of text then looked at the same file on the Mac, it was unchanged until I initiated a sync on FB Pro. There's background refresh and you can set the auto-refresh to run every 1 to 24 hours. Since I rarely use background refresh I had it disabled for FB Pro but I've enabled it and now dropped auto-refresh to 1 hour.

I've done a second edit while the phone was in airplane mode then took it off airplane mode ...waits before posting the result .... one hour passes .... eventually uploaded the updated file.

Why don't try smbsync2
That looks to be a one-way backup of the Android data to the NAS: "Synchronization is a one-way from the master to the target". What is being sought is two-way sync.

Last edited:
I just tested on a text file that has been synced to FB Pro on the iPhone. Added a new line of text then looked at the same file on the Mac, it was unchanged until I initiated a sync on FB Pro. There's background refresh and you can set the auto-refresh to run every 1 to 24 hours. Since I rarely use background refresh I had it disabled for FB Pro but I've enabled it and now dropped auto-refresh to 1 hour.

I've done a second edit while the phone was in airplane mode then took it off airplane mode ...waits before posting the result .... one hour passes .... eventually uploaded the updated file.

That looks to be a one-way backup of the Android data to the NAS: "Synchronization is a one-way from the master to the target". What is being sought is two-way sync.
Im not sure but you can try there is a mirroring option

Hi, What I concern most is can I edit files in airplane mode and synced back to NAS, thank you for doing the test! And, Instead of auto-refresh, I force it to sync manually, right?

Here's the web page that compares the various versions of FileBrowser on iOS/padOS (same app). There's a link to auto-folder sync. Here you'll see a screen shot with a manual button called 'Sync All Now', but you'll find that each task has its own 'Sync Now' option in the vertical '...' menu.

FYI
Synology has released a new version of the Synology Drive for Android (v2.5.0) and the two-way sync is back.
I was able to setup all my sync jobs again.

Last edited:
FYI
Synology has released a new version of the Synology Drive for Android (v2.5.0) and the two-way sync is back.
I was able to setup all my sync jobs again.
a week earlier I launched WebDav on Android ...
Ok, time to test the new version.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.