DSM 7.0 DSM 7.0 RC is out!

Currently reading
DSM 7.0 DSM 7.0 RC is out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to install DSM 7 RC manually on my DS220+ but the process went really smooth. Synology Photos was the biggest USP for me when buying my NAS and I´m really excited for it´s possibilities.

So far so good :)

Also, I strongly recommend this before you hit the button:

It is still a Release candidate.

Right! The DS215j is installing DSM 7 RC right now, upgrade from the beta. What's coming out the other side of this? a still working Time Machine server, hopefully; a door stop.

[BTW, OT, regarding Time Machine which is all I use the DS215j for with Mojave, Catalina, and Big Sur: I found the most reliable way to move from AFP to SMB connections was to start the TM backup from new. That meant: Bonjour advertise TM on SMB and not AFP; remove each Mac's AFP entry in TM preferences; delete each Mac's TM folder on the NAS; add new SMB connection for TM on each Mac. It's been solid since doing this but had problems trying to reuse a TM backup folder if just switching from AFP to SMB.]

Last edited:
2x DS920+ updated from DSM7 beta without error, though I notice I cannot manually install Plex updates ("invalid file format" error on the package)
Which package did you select?
[screenshot deleted]

------

OK I get that too and I'm sure I got the right package from Plex.tv. However I find this thread on their forum and I'll read it more later.

Attachments

• 1622549987326.png
    1622549987326.png
    80.7 KB · Views: 31
Yep, I'm using the right package: Plex Synology (DSM7) build 1.23.2.4600. It installs fine on DSM7 beta, just not on DSM7 RC.

Synology must have changed something in the SPK format - I vaguely recall ChuckPA from the Plex team saying something regarding this in one of the Plex DSM7 beta threads.

It doesn't impact the version installed from running, it just breaks updates. I'm sure the Plex guys are already onto this though.

Just curious... Updating from a machine with Photo Station installed, I understand PS is removed, but is Photos automatically installed (I hope not)?
In my case Photos was automatically installed, but I don´t know if it´s just a auto-update from Photo Station?

In my case Photos was automatically installed, but I don´t know if it´s just a auto-update from Photo Station?
From the relase notes:

Synology Moments and Photo Station will be upgraded to and merged as Synology Photos.

Memory usage by DSM7 has increased again but now it gets a mention in the RC notes.

RackStation bare metal install, SSD-only, no extra packages, no services running and steady-state now equals 52% memory vs 43% on the last beta:

Screenshot 2021-06-01 at 17.41.49.png

It even manages to consume more memory at idle post-install than it did when starting-up and actually installing the RC update earlier in the afternoon.

It was good news that DSM7 supported older and memory anaemic models but it now looks like the 512MB systems (such as the RS217 above) have finally had their day for anything beyond a simple back-up target.

Status
Not open for further replies.