DSM 7.0 DSM 7.0 RC is out!

Currently reading
DSM 7.0 DSM 7.0 RC is out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
it now looks like the 512MB systems (such as the RS217 above) have finally had their day for anything beyond a simple back-up target.

"Planned obsolesce" ... Much like when Apple crippled the iPhones so as to not "overtax" the battery. Now we have a jump in RAM requirement which will bog down lesser units until they choke out.

On the other hand I have to say that memory usage imho is very good.

I tested it today with vdsm single core and 2fb of ram with Photos pumping in images and doing face recognition.

Surprisingly ram in idle was about 250MB to about 400MB while recognition kicked in.

Will test it some more tomorrow but atm it looks like it a decent balance.

"Planned obsolesce"
Maybe not that planned - the RS217 has only just been pulled from the Synology product page (albeit still available to purchase from the usual places). Perhaps the DSM7 memory growth has caused a sudden and unplanned product exit from the value range with no replacement ready?

I guess it is not desirable to continue to sell a rackmount product that Synology advises against using with the latest DSM but it will still leave many customers in warranty but effectively without a fully supported OS. Although the DS220j is still listed by Synology as a current product though, to trap the unwary.

Still, good to see some progression in the DSM7.0 saga.

Last edited:
Oh finally! Some work to do on the weekend 😝😝 thanks to everyone will test it in these early days. I'm really looking forward to see how the new sign in works cause atm it takes too long imho to log into dsm.

Just upgraded my DS1821+ to DSM V7.0 release. All seemed to be fine until I check the Surveillance Station. The "surveillance" folder was situated in a DX517 expansion unit and seemed to get totally screwed up (possibly). Moved the folder back to the main unit and still seem to be getting the same Notification message:
"Camera [xxxx] failed to record due to abnormal storage."

All the Hard Drives are Seagate IronWolf NAS (8TB)

Any ideas?

A lightly used DS215j with DSM 7 RC.

This is the top of top 🤓. Activity is: SSH session; two active SMB3 connections doing Time Machine backup.
1622632313089.png

There are a few idling packages, but the biggies are Plex, Audio Station, and Photos. Probably best for user-interactive-free connections like backups and network servers (DNS, DHCP, NTP, etc). But lite audio streaming is ok.

Just upgraded from the beat to RC. Smooth migration. Notice my Drive Sync apps also updated, this was not clean on 1 of the Win10 PCs. It dod not recovered and needed a kick.
My Mobile apps for photos updated.
So far all seems very much like the Beta!
I've not noticed anything out of the ordinary

been running the Beta since it came out on my DS414 and just updated to latest version.. works smooth .. not using more RAM than before . ( actually slightly less) all seems good so far for my old NAS

Just upgraded my DS1821+ to DSM V7.0 release. All seemed to be fine until I check the Surveillance Station. The "surveillance" folder was situated in a DX517 expansion unit and seemed to get totally screwed up (possibly). Moved the folder back to the main unit and still seem to be getting the same Notification message:
"Camera [xxxx] failed to record due to abnormal storage."

All the Hard Drives are Seagate IronWolf NAS (8TB)

Any ideas?
Had same, its Reolink cameras, change them to onvif for now, it'll fix it. Synology looking into it.

Hello mates

I upgraded from 6.2 to 7 and now every 1 hour I can see my DS220+ is waking up from Hibernation. The issue was not happening when I was on 6.2
Anybody has the same symptom? I enabled my hibernation logs and its clear that every hour system wakes up and hibernate again after 20 min.
I don't have any hourly task in my NAS.
Any idea?

Cheers

I was wondering if the creation of regular volumes on the M.2 slots (obviously unsupported) is still possible on DSM7?

ps. I asked the same thing on the official community pages only to get the comment removed (I guess saying it isn't supported functionality is just too difficult), that or stating ones mild discontent with removing USB dongle support isn't something that they want to hear.

Last edited:
How do you create volumes on the M.2 slots?

There are some videos on YouTube. This particular video is in German, I'm sure I have seen an English version as well. Even if you don't speak German the auto-translate should be enough to get you going if you have some basic Linux knowledge. That said, backups, backups and... backups.

I am using a BTRFS volume for my VMM and Docker containers and the performance boost not only makes running 3 VMM virtual appliances and 31 docker containers on my 16GB DS918+ start and run A LOT faster but also made them more reliable.

ps. Synology state they do not support it because it "may" cause overheating issues. I can only speak from personal experience, my 1TB (Samsung EVO 960) volume has been running flawlessly for nearly a year now and hasn't been over 27 degrees Celcius yet.

I've "upgraded" to the RC on several Diskstations (though not the one running Plex...), and observed a couple things:

(1) Even if you didn't have the DHCP Server package installed prior to the upgrade, it installs it for you; I wonder why? (That's an honest question, I'm not being sarcastic...)

(2) Hyperbackup under RC is capable of backing up settings for several Packages that could not be backed up under earlier versions of DSM. But you have to go into Hyper Backup and add them manually. So, worth checking out your Hyperbackup settings if you use Hyperbackup to back up Packages.

(2) Hyperbackup under RC is capable of backing up settings for several Packages that could not be backed up under earlier versions of DSM. But you have to go into Hyper Backup and add them manually. So, worth checking out your Hyperbackup settings if you use Hyperbackup to back up Packages.
I had a bug acknowledge by Synology. In my specific instance but might be others:

Installed Media Server and played with it a bit. Added Media Server to the HB task. Then decided I don't need it on this NAS day-to-day so stopped it in Package Center. Now the HB task runs but alerts a partial success due to Media Server issue.

The HB task is successful if either:
  • Media Server is running
  • HB task has Media Server removed
So not so useful if you want a full backup with a fallback package ready to run but normally off.

Hopefully this will be resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.