DSM 7.2beta, how does it work for you?

Currently reading
DSM 7.2beta, how does it work for you?

Runs fine

1678435891644.png

Testing it on my VDSM.
Had some problems with the 2FA not accepting the code after upgrading to 7.2 beta, I needed to use the emergency code to login.
And also Wireguard (runfalk) is not working anymore.

Last edited:
The bb-qq/RTL8152 driver doesn't run after installing the DSM 7.2 beta update, attempting to repair or uninstall/reinstall fails. An issue has been logged by someone already, so it should be fixed in due course.

Apart from that issue, no other problems installing 7.2 beta on three NASes (1621+, 1522+, 720+). I'm pleased to see that the NVME storage option has been expanded to 2021 & 2022 models.

EDIT: I noticed that Drive ShareSync kicked off a full re-sync of all shared folders post-install.

The bb-qq/RTL8152 driver doesn't run after installing the DSM 7.2 beta update, attempting to repair or uninstall/reinstall fails. An issue has been logged by someone already, so it should be fixed in due course.

Apart from that issue, no other problems installing 7.2 beta on three NASes (1621+, 1522+, 720+). I'm pleased to see that the NVME storage option has been expanded to 2021 & 2022 models.

EDIT: I noticed that Drive ShareSync kicked off a full re-sync of all shared folders post-install.
A third-party has updated the bb-qq/RTL8152 USB NIC driver package. Welcome back USB 2.5GbE!

The QuickConnect changes are poor, to say the least. You click the button, GUI makes all the right announcements and goes green just like always but... it isn't actually quick or working. Thud.

The bit that stops it working is opening the correct ports via UPnP/NAT-PMP. According to the background Synology have removed UPnP/NAT-PMP on the grounds of 'security'.

It a well-worn myth about UPnP/NAT-PMP being unsafe, with the only kernel of truth in this being linked to some terrible UPnP implementations on cheap ISP and consumer routers that turned something that could and should be safe into a car-crash.

A properly set UPnP/NAT-PMP enjoys advantages over a fixed or manual port-forward. It shuts the door behind it when not needed, the external ports can be randomised and it can set the internal ACLs appropriately.

So QuickConnect is no longer 'quick' and does not achieve the 'connect' bit either, with the user expected to know that a manual port-forward is needed, despite the green icons being lit on the DSM GUI. Oh and security descends to embrace the lowest common denominator.

☕

Last edited:
QuickConnect showing enabled (but not actually):

QuickConnect Enable-Redacted.png

You can still select UPnP via 'Router Configuration' but it fails to find my UPnP router:

DSM7.2B-UPnP Detection Fail-Redacted.png

The Plex app can still find its way out via UPnP though, so it looks like a DSM-only block:

Plex External-Redacted.png

..and it works as expected at the router end:

pfSense UPnP-Redacted.png

So at least Plexians seem to be ok.

For whatever reason, Synology has excluded the lower models from SMB multichannel. So on my Marvell Armada (RS217) the option to enable it via the GUI SMB 'Advanced' menu is not there.

Synology did actually update the Samaba version to a very recent one though - v4.15.13:

Code:
Rob@D:~$ samba -V
Version 4.15.13
Synology Build 63133, Mar  1 2023 17:50:29
Rob@D:~$ uname -a
Linux D 3.10.108 #64216 SMP Tue Mar 7 17:14:40 CST 2023 armv7l GNU/Linux synology_armada38x_rs217
Rob@D:~$ cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
# Copyright (c) 2000-2019 Synology Inc. All rights reserved.
#
#
#                          ______     _______
#                        (  __  \   (  ___  )
#                        | (  \  )  | (   ) |
#                        | |   ) |  | |   | |
#                        | |   | |  | |   | |
#                        | |   ) |  | |   | |
#                        | (__/  )  | (___) |
#                        (______/   (_______)
#
#                   _          _______   _________
#                  ( (    /|  (  ___  )  \__   __/
#                  |  \  ( |  | (   ) |     ) (
#                  |   \ | |  | |   | |     | |
#                  | (\ \) |  | |   | |     | |
#                  | | \   |  | |   | |     | |
#                  | )  \  |  | (___) |     | |
#                  |/    )_)  (_______)     )_(
#
#   _______    _______    ______    _________   _______
#  (       )  (  ___  )  (  __  \   \__   __/  (  ____ \  |\     /|
#  | () () |  | (   ) |  | (  \  )     ) (     | (    \/  ( \   / )
#  | || || |  | |   | |  | |   ) |     | |     | (__       \ (_) /
#  | |(_)| |  | |   | |  | |   | |     | |     |  __)       \   /
#  | |   | |  | |   | |  | |   ) |     | |     | (           ) (
#  | )   ( |  | (___) |  | (__/  )  ___) (___  | )           | |
#  |/     \|  (_______)  (______/   \_______/  |/            \_/
#
#
# IMPORTANT: Synology will not provide technical support for any issues
#            caused by unauthorized modification to the configuration.

[global]
    printcap name=cups
    winbind enum groups=yes
    include=/var/tmp/nginx/smb.netbios.aliases.conf
    encrypt passwords=yes
    server multi channel support=yes
    aio read size=0
    min protocol=SMB2_10
    security=user
    local master=no
    realm=*
    passdb backend=smbpasswd
    printing=cups
    max protocol=SMB3
    winbind enum users=yes
    load printers=yes
    aio write size=0
    workgroup=WORKGROUP
Rob@D:~$

I had the 'experimental' SMB multichannel previously set anyway on this NAS and the update embraced the previous Samba settings and the SMB multichannel feature works perfectly. Nice.

☕

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.